1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. The threads about people dying too young, and the health insurance thread, etc., flashed in my mind when I read this article. In the spirit of taking care of yourself, you might want to check this out.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,6916,s1-6-0-0-690-1-5X9X13-4,00.html

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

I subscribe to Men's Health ... great mag with decent writing and lots of good workout tips.

Here's the question for all of you, especially the traveling beat guys/gals ... How do you keep in shape? The stereotype of the sportswriter has us all as fat lazy bums. I don't want to be that guy. Where do you squeeze time in for workouts? How do you avoid the nightly fast food trap?

How tough is it to keep in shape with the stupid lifestyle we lead?

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Since I left behind the nighttime hours and daily grind of sitting on a copy desk in March for a exhilerating career in PR, I've actually put on a healthy 15 pounds -- which I needed anyway.

I chalk it up to eating better, falling into a "normal" sleeping pattern and not having anxiety and stress of the nightly deadlines.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm currently spending 45 minutes a day on a treadmill, trying to undo the damage of the unhealthy lifestyle I've led for the last decade or so and trying to become the opposite of the stereotypical fat lazy bum that I am.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just 30 minutes on the treadmill, but I stay between 4-5 mph.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wasn't blessed with good genes, so I've got to work a little harder at it. I lift five days a week and do cardio on three of those days. I make it a goal to stick with it even when traveling during hoops season. If the team's going to practice, I'll watch a bit of practice and ask the SID if there's a way I can sneak into the school's weight room for a quick workout. Or if the team I cover is lifting, I'll ask the coach if I can join them. Or check with the hotel to see what kind of deals you can get with a local gym.

Perhaps I'm a bit obsessive ... :-/

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A little weight lifting can go a long way in everyone's life. I'm not talking power lifting and freebasing creatine, but 30-45 minutes of lifting 3-4 days a week, and the occassional protein shake or bar for a snack can go a long way. And don't just do the typical lifting (bicep curls and bench pressing) when you work out, but make sure you work your legs, shoulders, and ESPECIALLY your back. A couple of sets targetting each muscle group does wonders for your heart, your health, and even your appearance. It's not the be all and end all, and the results aren't visible as fast as you might think, but it's the biggest thing you can do to help yourself and goes a lot further than just mixing in a salad or jogging. In fact, lifting is better for your heart than doing cardio work is. Of course, I don't mean it's okay to just stop doing all of that now. ;) Together, it all adds up even better.

8. Anodyne3

Anodyne3 Guest

My workout routine has been insane lately. I'm running the Chicago Marathon for the third year here in three weeks. Before you get any ideas, I am no sort of stud at all. the first year, I ran it in 5:05. Pathetic, but I reached my goal, I finished. Last year, 4:54 something ... so this year, the last few weeks, I've been totally serious about it. I've lost 30 pounds since a beer-soaked winter, and I've been hitting the treadmill hard every day, the stationary bike after that, and long runs on Saturdays. My legs have never been this strong.

I don't know what clicked in me -- perhaps it was the danger of becoming the stereotype of a sports writer.

My goal is to run Boston within the next three years, which seems crazy considering my times thus far, but like I said, I've never pushed myself like this.

My point is that if you want to try to take care of yourself, come up with a specific goal. it's so easy to skip workouts or binge on foods and stuff that are bad for you when you're not shooting for anything, just trying to "stay in shape."

Oh yeah, I'm not a traveler, I'm a suburban paper guy, preps and minor-league baseball.

9. IdahoHack

IdahoHack Guest

oh come on, flag, we all know you subscribe because of the sex tips.
    http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,6916,s1-2-0-0-683,00.html
    And since we're talking about health and sex is a vital part of health IMO:
    http://www.menshealth.com/cda/quizleadin/1,6927,s1-2-74-0-367,00.html
    Our lifestyle might hurt us where we most want it to avoid

10. Anodyne3

Anodyne3 Guest

my goal, by the way, is to burn 1,500 calories per workout at the gym. I do it on the treadmill instead of outside during the week because it's easier on the legs, and you can set the incline and speed nad have a very controlled workout.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I tend to stick with the stair climber because of shin splints, plus a lot of outside biking and tennis.

I play hoops some, but then, I tend to show people exactly why I write about basketball and don't play it. ::)

12. IdahoHack

IdahoHack Guest

personally, i need to work out more. i used to play hoops with the former college players that are still in town. but i broke my wrist when taking an offensive charge once and kind of gave of the game when i lost 20% of the strength in my shooting hand.

when i was younger and still in college i got a job as a quality control guy at an exercise equipment factory and my job was to run on treadmills. i estimate i ran 100-120 miles per week. i could go forever and it paid off on the basketball court where i was a white guy that could dunk.

now, i try to power walk with my wife on occasion, i lug 20-to 30-pound kids around all day and i try to avoid trips to jack in the box too often.

everyday my wife tells me i need to take better care of myself. when peers my age pass away, it only reinforces that.

time to do a few push ups.

Draft saved Draft deleted