1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take 'Bama and the 17 every game but 2, and even then ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tide will roll big in just about every game, the pro bookies say:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/three-row-alabama-favored-every-game-least-17-152623412.html

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They're just trying to get Saban to go off on a rant during an otherwise quiet summer.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Bama will lose at least two games this year. You don't graduate three NFL-caliber offensive linemen, starting running back and half your defense and repeat as national champs.
    I realize the Tide reloads every year, but that's a lot of talent to replace.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The 2009 Alabama team returned four offensive starters and went 14-0. That team also had to replace three NFL-caliber offensive linemen and its starting running back, plus its quarterback. And the defense gets gutted every year.

T.J. Yeldon is more talented than Eddie Lacy, just as Mark Ingram was more talented than Glen Coffee and Trent Richardson was more talented than Ingram. The running back position isn't an issue. Alabama has six or seven guys who could rush for 1,000 yards for other programs.

The defense is similarly not an issue. It may actually be better this season than last, when the defense took a half-step back as the offense took a step forward from 2011.

The offensive line could be tricky, but several guys stood out in camp, and Cyrus Kouandjio should be the best left tackle in the country.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Point spreads on college games are dumb.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. There's a lot more money to be made on college football than the NFL, where the lines are airtight. Granted, 20-year-old kids can be fickle, but that's gambling.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What I meant was gambling on college sports is dumb. That's one of the (few) things I remember from my mandatory two-day seminar for all university athletic department employees.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whining about being overrated is part of the process too, you know.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Honestly, I pity Johnny Ballgame on September 14.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm betting Bama no matter the points.

Draft saved Draft deleted