1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tailor: "I can't give you a price over the phone." WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Aug 13, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I used to have one or two of those. Haven't worn one in a long time though.

I had an old boss who favored tab collars, and went with those for a while. I liked how if made the knot on the tie look, but you couldn't loosen the tie at the end of a long day without undoing the tab, which looked stupid.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I have an older 3/2 suit from Norman Hilton I purchased off eBay when I am feeling nostalgic.

Surprised the tailor wouldn't tell you how much for sleeves, take in pants, etc.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would play along with the tailor. They are skilled craftspeople who take pride in not just the basics but in making you look great. I sometimes have forgotten and then the tailor will say are those the shoes you plan to wear with that suit? If I say no, they say it's in my best interest to go get them for the measuring of the hem. They want to measure both arms and legs because some people have one shorter arm or one shorter leg. Your shoulders sometimes slope unevenly. I've only once had one try to rip me off. They want you to leave the shop looking so good that people ask you who's your tailor. As in Werewolves of London ...

Draft saved Draft deleted