1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tailor: "I can't give you a price over the phone." WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Aug 13, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I have 8 suits that I am taking in for alterations. I've lost a little weight and the suits are, let's just say, a bit spacious.

There is a tailor in town with 35 years of experience. Yet he can't give me a ballpark figure on how much it costs to alter a suit.

"You'll have to come in."

Me: "Would it be between 10 and 60 bucks a suit? What is the average?"

Me: "You've been doing this 36 years and you can't even give me a guess?"

I have no plans not the time to spend 90 minutes getting measured if I have no idea what it will cost.

Is this common with tailors?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd say this is common for everyone.

I tried to get a price on laser hair removal. The people wouldn't so much as give me a single dollar figure. Flat-out refused, said it depended on this, that, the other -- I kept saying, "but just in the ballpark. Are we talking tens, hundreds or thousands" -- no dice."

They refused and I never went. Later learned that it's not an option for my hair color -- something they COULD have told me over the phone, but they want you in there.

Once you're in there, it's harder to say no to them. Bird in hand, all that.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's pretty simple. If I call asking for a price and you refuse, I'll call someone else.

4. exmediahack

Seeing there was no movement from him, I said I don't have the time to get measured with no idea on the cost.

"Good luck. No tailor will give you a price over the phone."

Seriously? So they're like Auto repair shops? How do you have no idea what the price would be? Especially after I described the situation.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've had two dresses taken in. One was $30, one was almost $70. Same takeins on both, but one had a liner and some extra material (folds). It really does depend on the suit.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

So why can't the guy give him a ballpark cost?

"If I shorten the sleeves, it's between $10 and $70, but if's it's tweed, it will be more."

That's all ex is looking for, I believe.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because most people aren't honest when they call for a price estimate.
    Then they come in and are upset when it costs more.

8. exmediahack

That may be true.

I gave him my size and said I've lost 15 pounds. Jackets and pants are a little loose around the waist.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If he said "Between $100 and $500 depending on the suit" be considered a ballpark?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Would "Between $100 and $500 depending on the suit" be considered a ballpark?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would be my response if I were a tailor if somebody insisted I give an estimate without ever seeing the clothes.
    'Low end, $10. High end, $500.'

12. exmediahack

I guess that's what bugs me here.

This is a non essential purchase, unlike a broken down car. Too much to ask what the usual range is?

Found another one in town who told me "between $20 and $40 each but don't hold me to it". Much better.

Draft saved Draft deleted