1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi takes CBS' Lara Logan to the woodshed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Establishment Messenger Boy.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lara Logan was kinda cute when we were starting doing shock and awe and she was just turning 32.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

As a forner army officer and public affairs officer who often was the guy shadowing a visiting journalist hanging out with high-ranjking officers, I would guess that McChrystal knew exactly what he was doing and saying and how it would be portrayed. I mean, this was ROLLING STONE doing a piece on him---he knew exactly what was likely to come out of this, even after he had a few brews or whatever in the reporter's presence. This was a good forum for what McChrystal knew needed to be said about the Obama administration and he basically took a WTF approach.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which was what? "Thank you for giving me everything I've asked for?"

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes and no. It WAS Rolling Stone, as every TV pundit has kevetched about now for two weeks running. But Hastings is a guy who was the Iraq correspondent for Newsweek. He's a serious, serious international journalist with serious, serious credentials. He's not a pundit. He's not a "voice." He's not, as someone pointed out, the guy who reviewed the latest Fall Out Boy album. Rolling Stone can roll out some pretty bush league "reporting" from time to time, but it also engages in serious journalism on a consistent basis. This meme that the government should never deign to talk to Rolling Stone is getting a bit silly.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read the entire article and I think the dismissive quotes were less of a problem than the general tone of the article. It didn't leave me with the impression that if McC received everything he wanted from DC that success was assured. Instead, he came across as a guy who had become disillusioned by war.
    The article made him sound like a bit of a cowboy, a guy who liked to do things his own way and surrounded himself with people of similar personality. But the Afghanistan situation makes Iraq look like a cake walk. We had a civilian authority in Iraq which worked with the military, in Afghanistan we have to prop up Karzai. Throw in the more difficult terrain and economic profile and it's pretty easy to get discouraged.
    Petraeus is now the fourth general in charge in four years over there. (fingers crossed).

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you parse the column you see that the real damaging stuff was uttered by his aids who may have had a lot less media savvy.

8. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think Taibbi is right as far as this topic is concerned, and Logan's comments make her look foolish. But I never really cared for Taibbi, and his smug arrogance. I think he thinks (despite his father's experience) all journalists are like these overpaid, often under-qualified TV talking heads or magazine writers. He thinks they're all elitists (except for himself, apparently) and that none have any sense of news or responsibility to readers/viewers. Maybe he never really had to work his way up in journalism, but his attitude towards it annoys me.

9. mcgovern72

mcgovern72 Member

Brilliance here: http://www.hillmanfoundation.org/blog/beat-reporter

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From Gawker, on Hastings getting a book deal. And a great line on Logan.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just hope the NY Times or the WAPO never agree again to hold back on stories when implored by the White House. It sends a mixed message.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Playing devil's advocate: Is there anyone here who hasn't given someone a pass on some comment they made that would get them in hot water?

Draft saved Draft deleted