1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi takes CBS' Lara Logan to the woodshed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Between Logan's misplaced indignation over a journalist presenting a vain general and his fratboy staff for what they are at cocktail time, and a news operation keeping a bureau open in a war zone?

No. There's no comparison.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with both of you. This piece was well done. It's not just his tone, though, that makes it usually hard to take him seriously. There have been too many instances of him being right on the big point, but getting so many details wrong or using selective reporting or intentionally simplistic analysis to try to create villains to try to make an even more absolute point he could go on a screed over. And he's ruined a few otherwise excellent pieces that way. Taibbi is smart and clever and a good writer and he dives into topics that would overwhelm a lot of writers. If he could leash himself a little bit, and find a way to temper what appear to be some personal biases, he could easily be one of the best investigative reporters out there. Instead, he falls short and something like this probably gets ignored more than it should -- although I hope not. It was well done and funny and scary at the same time.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree with Ragu completely. The message gets suffocated by the oh-so-clever lingual masturbation. Lost me at the first 'you suck'...although I stayed with it because I can't believe a 'major' news organization would be okay with Logan's remarks.

Does anyone, anywhere, still go to CBS for anything? Particularly news coverage? If I had to make a list of news sources to search for exclusivity and detail and commentary, CBS would MAYBE be #20. Maybe.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is what I was trying to get at. Thanks for really crystallizing it. His pieces are often just too black and white, good guys and bad guys and nothing in between. I'll read a story of his about a Congressman or Goldman Sachs and come away thinking, "OK, no way it's just that simple." For all of his faults, David Brooks said something interesting the other day in his back-and-forth with Gail Collins: Most of the guys holding public office are good guys at the core, who are just nuanced and have flaws like the rest of us. I think that Hastings, BTW, captured just that when it came to McChrystal's operation (although not precisely analogous because he's not elected).

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wonder if Taibbi grows out of it, or at least learns to modulate it. He needs a better, stronger editor he trusts to help him do that. You don't start as HST, you earn your way to HST. Which is the easiest comparison, but not really apt.

I always thought Wm. Greider was the best they had in that role at RS.

fixed

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wish those guys would stop auditioning for a role that can't be cast, and build their own brands instead.

Mixed metaphor, sorry.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Only for the occasional upset, like Couric's interview with Palin.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A non-reproducible lightning strike. Never again will anyone be snared by Katie Couric into a gut-shredding inquisition on choice of newspapers.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if she still reads all of them?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"60 Minutes" is still a fixture on my DVR, though their story selection has weakened in recent years. It's good DVR fare because I'll always zap through at least one of the standard three stories every episode.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CBS Sunday Morning is very good.

At least a couple or three segments, unless it is a themed episode, will kick ass.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah ... but why does Taibbi ALWAYS have to be such an asshole?

Draft saved Draft deleted