1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi takes CBS' Lara Logan to the woodshed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/matt-taibbi/blogs/TaibbiData_May2010/122137/83512

Cue up whatever repetitive complaint you wish about Taibbi -- He curses too much! He's a douche! He makes himself the story, and he's no HST -- but he's dead on here.

The Lara Logans (and the David Brookses, since he offered a similar argument that Hastings should have not published McCrystal's comments) have helped kill off the credibility of our profession.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

He's right. Though I admit I've wondered if any of the General's comments were intended to be "off the record" he hasn't said as much, so you have to truth the writer that they weren't. And if there was never a move off the record even implied then its all fair game.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand beat people getting hacked off when someone parachutes in torches someone they've spent months/years cultivating as a source - but unless Logan et. al. are willing to report that McChrystal's views are actually 180 degrees opposite of what RS reported - they should be quiet. If they knew the general had misgivings and an uneasy relationship with others in the Obama Administration and didn't report it - that's their problem.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not only is it a problem for them, it's a disservice to their constituencies. Apparently their job 1 was to do McChrystal's bidding.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His is 110 percent dead-on, and I hope that everyone on here can see through his politics and acknowledge that, as a critic of corporate journalism in 2010, he's dead-on. These last couple weeks have definitely shown that the emperor has no clothes. I don't always like Taibbi for some of the reasons you mentioned, but he's right here: You write for your readers, not your sources. That's especially true when it comes to national affairs.

Now, I understand the idea that, on a beat, you have to be able to get a drink with someone without putting in a headline the next day that, "Girardi says Jeter can be a 'douche' when he's up late the night before." But the Lara Logans of the world have it completely ass-backward. A beat guy would sit on something like that not out of some sort of deference to his source, but because he or she is taking the long view of cultivating sources to fry bigger fish down the road. Knowing when to pull the trigger and when to sit are skills honed over years of practice. I'm stunned that the Lara Logans, David Brookses and Geraldo Riveras of the world are saying this stuff out loud.

I just always think back to "Almost Famous," which was as much a love letter to the authenticity of fly-on-the-wall-journalism as it was as coming-of-age story or a tribute to '70's arena rock.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The response to this has been predictable, as usual, by the media types — Taibbi being an asshole, etc.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/media/mcchrystal-affair-matt-taibbi-is-full-of-it/19535274/

But that writer also played loose with the facts, the same thing he does to Taibbi.

But Taibbi didn't make the attack on Logan personal. He could have. She fucks her sources. No, really, Lara Logan fucks her sources. While embedded in Iraq she got a married state department contractor embedded in her and nine months later had a baby.
    Baby daddy divorced his wife to marry Logan.
    All this came as a surprise to Logan's boyfriend at the time, a CNN reporter.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, why does anyone look at CNN as a credible news source?

The failed to report on atrocities so that they could maintain their Baghdad bureau.

What's the point of the bureau if you fail to report the truth?

8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

What does this have to do with McChrystal/Logan/Taibbi?

9. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

My favorite line:

"I mean, where did Logan go to journalism school – the Burson-Marsteller agency?"

Priceless.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

You can't say Taibbi doesn't know of what he speaks when it comes to network news. His dad is a national NBC reporter, Mike Taibbi.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Laugh all you want. But the course on how to rewrite press releases taught by Professor Flack taught me everything I know about the business.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I agree with him about Logan.

Too many reporters want to be friends with the people they cover.

What was that Time's Nina Burleigh said during the Lewinsky affair?

Here it is:

"I would be happy to give him a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal. I think American women should be lining up with their presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude for keeping the theocracy off our backs."

All I'm saying is that this isn't new.

CNN, CBS, NBC, FOX. Take your choice. They're all compromised.

The White House Press Corp has long traded positive coverage for access.

And sports beat reporters often hold back information, not just for access, but because they have to travel with their team for as many as 81 games in baseball.

And beat reporters always hate it when someone parachutes in on their beat, breaks a story, and then disappears, leaving the beat reporters to deal with the mess.

I have no sympathy for the beat reporters. It's their own fault if they don't break stories on their own beat.

Logan deserves all the criticism she's getting. Her comments are ridiculous.

But it's nothing new.

Draft saved Draft deleted