1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tahoe ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ChrisLong, Mar 2, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Say what?

It's 200 miles.

2 hours from the far northeastern barely-Bay-Area-corner-of-the-Bay-Area, maybe.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

But it's only 15 minutes from San Francisco to Tahoe.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Therefore, two hours. Traffic, you know. And maybe a few Chinese drivers along the way.

SnarkShark and ChrisLong like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What you think all white drivers are great? I've got some stories for you buster.

Okay, 2 hours was pushing it, I forgot I wasn't at Davis any longer. 3.5 hours.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never did get to Tahoe, but had some pretty great times in Reno as a 20-something. Was the anti-Vegas, where you could find a quarter craps game or $2 blackjack, getting blitzed on the free drinks without losing a fortune.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I enjoyed perusing this thread, and then saw it's nearly six years old.
    Still, I always loved Tahoe. In my teens, my family rented a timeshare condo in Carnelian Bay for a week for about five straight summers.
    Last time I was there was in 2010. My dad and I stayed at Harrah's, and I got a big kick out of the underground passageway that took you to Harvey's across the street.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A good friend grew up in Reno and she describes the town as a tacky Vegas stepsister, and I’m just fine with that.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been about five years since I've been there, for a cousin's wedding.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I went there a lot as a kid. Back in 70’s Harrahs had the greatest thing for kids, a kids club, parents signed you in and they could gamble, then you couldn’t leave, there were arcade games, movies popcorn, vending machines, pool tables and mini bowling. Just don’t run out of money, then it was just free movie playing and watching others have fun.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Please say they had pit bosses.

dixiehack, HanSenSE and playthrough like this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I remember that place, back in the '60s, just didn't remember which hotel it was in. I think there was also a dance floor so the older kids could try to hook up. We always wondered what would happen if Daddy got drunk and tapped out, and forgot to pick up his kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted