1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Table for five: Pick your favorite four Forumites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maumann, Sep 14, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We've done a number of "Mount Rushmores," but I'd be fascinated who you'd put around a table to share a meal (or a beer) with and shoot the ... stories about the industry, life or anything. And why, if that's not uncomfortable.

You may already have met on SJ outings or just have conversed/argued on various topics. Or maybe there's someone who rarely posts (or even lurks) that has a background or knowledge you admire.

You do not have to be present to win (allowing for past posters to be included).

I'll hang up and listen.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

DW, YF, TBR, O_T and M1.

I’ll be the fly on the wall.

maumann likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan. He spits hot fire.

Iron_chet and maumann like this.
  4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Alma, Typefitter, Bubbler, Starman, JDV.

maumann likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Derrrrrr, table for five includes the picker. So you and four guests, yo ...

garrow likes this.
  6. Slacker

HC, LTL, Amy, QYFW.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    maumann and HC like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

S-P, lono, waterytart and hockeybeat.

"We're gonna need a bigger ... table." Could use room for others ... I've met all four of the above. Three of them are pretty familiar with me and still tolerate my existence. The fourth went out of his way to be very decent to me ... there was one time I know he took a couple of buses and subway to take a few minutes that he didn't have to say hello to me in person when I was in his corner of the world. His death still saddens me ... and is proof that Only The Good Die Young.

There are others I've visited and talked with at outings ... JR, HC, Sxy, PD, Moddy, IJAG, goalmouth, birdscribe I've met in person, broken bread and discussed goodness knows what with.

2MCM, I Should Coco, maumann, franticscribe, driftwood, Tarheel316, Huggy, Junkie, Captain Kirk are on the "never met but am certain I would get along with" list for any number of reasons ... music, local and regional news and notes for starters ... and I KNOW I've forgotten a few.

Need an old-school cafeteria lunch table here ...

maumann, I Should Coco and HC like this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Distaff division: 21, HC, Oscar Madison & Lugnuts

Y chromosome: Starman, maumann, Azrael & Big Ragu

I’ve met and broke bread with many others at various outings and get togethers under an old handle. Didn’t meet anyone I didn’t like. RIP, Arnold Babar.

Vombatus and maumann like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you’re talking shop: spnited, typefitter, friend of the friendless, and fenian_bastard. And I could add 10 more names to that list.

If you’re drinking heavily: that could go for almost anyone who’s ever posted here. Where would I even begin ... oh, yeah, typefitter.

I’ve met a lot of great people through this site, so it’s really hard to distill it to four.

maumann likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'd go with a Michigander table of mauman, Jake from State Farm, Starman and spikechiquet. Honorable mention to old-timers Hank Scorpio and slappy.

Been a long time since I lived and worked in Michigan, but it's a very interesting place in many ways, and I did some of my best work there.

Long live da U.P.!

Vombatus and maumann like this.
  11. Slacker

spnited, SF_Express, Shockey, Babar.

garrow, Iron_chet and maumann like this.
  12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when they asked this question of Jaromir Jagr.

He said “Shakira, and if she says yes then don’t ask anybody else because they would just bother me.”

I Should Coco, garrow and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted