1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tab themes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mikebb13, Oct 2, 2006.

1. mikebb13

mikebb13 Member

Hey guys, we're got a prep basketball tab coming up at our paper in 5-6 weeks. What are some cool themes you have seen and/or done?

Also (and this might be showing some ignorance), what are the copyright laws like on doing a theme and/or cover inspired by a TV show or movie? Is it fair use, or infringement?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Legally, it's fair use, unless you directly quote the title. And, even if you did, you'd probably be safe on grounds of satire/parody.

In practicality, it's trite, cliched and overdone to death.

3. ronalong

ronalong Guest

The cover photo is easy. Find two good female players from your area who are nice looking. Get them to wear their uniforms minus tops. Just have them stand there smiling in their sport's bras. Your paper's male readership should skyrocket.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Look for a common theme amongst the teams and use that as a starting point for inspiration.

If you go over the top with movies, music, video games, it must be done right — a knockoff won't cut it.

Or... a nude with a net, a whistle and a ball strategically placed!

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Themes are not necessarily a good idea for a tab. You wind up forcing stories to fit the theme. And unless you nail a really good one, they are almost always trite.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm always a fan of a basketball theme, but that's just me

(jesus, i always seem to say the same thing twice a year)

7. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

we don't really come up with themes, rather one big feature package - usually on a full-color, double-truck center spread - and the cover plays off that.

Draft saved Draft deleted