1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-Wolves president insinuates draft lottery is rigged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 18, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29391755

Stern will kill him, and he can't prove it, but it does seem to get more suspicious year in and year out.

I wish they would just go back to the old way of doing things with the worst team from each conference and a coin flip.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was surprised more wasn't made out of this. His quote clearly throws Stern under the bus.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No mention of it on ESPN front page.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course it's fucking fixed. That's why it's not a story.

For some reason it seems like Minnesota gets boned on a fairly regular basis in this thing too. They always seem to be picking third in a draft that's two guys deep or fourth in a draft that's three guys deep.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Did any of you watch or listen to the quote? Reading what he said doesn't give you any of the context for HOW he said it.

Kahn is a blooming idiot, but he was obviously trying (and maybe failing) to make a big joke.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Just watch the rigged Knicks lottery win:

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stern still pissed over the Joe Smith deal?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Conspiracies are always easy to say, harder to prove. What's even harder? Actually keeping a conspiracy a secret. Think about how many people would have to be involved in the conspiracy, think about who would be the weakest links, now why would they remain silent? This makes for good theatre but that's it. BTW, I think Kahn's comment was in jest.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. The conspiracy idiots will still believe it. Logic escapes them.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No one in any league anywhere is fixing shit to benefit a Cleveland team.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I agree, but of any pro sports league in America, the NBA has the least credibility. Three straight Lakers-Celtics finals, Knicks getting Ewing, Tim Donaghey ... NBA is ratings-driven more than any other sport.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm not one for conspiracies, primarily because of the whole keeping quiet thing. But everyone has to admit there's been an awful lot of storylines played out too perfectly in the draft. That's not to say it's rigged every year. But even in Cleveland's case -- the Cavs happen to get the first pick the year that Lebron comes out. Then when he leaves in a fashion that brought lots of bad PR to the league, suddenly they get the top choice again.

There are other examples as well. In a league where suspicion is already heavy, too many things came about in just the right way. Until they start showing us the pingpong balls being drawn, these type of situations will always lead to questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted