1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.O. to Ed Werder: "Next question"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Oct 31, 2008.

1. spud

spud Member

At the 2:09 mark and the 3:45...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=4A327D91-CF29-5E74-126479141CDE6107

Thoughts on this as a reporter? Is this a natural byproduct of irresponsible journalism which many have accused Werder of practicing, or is it a case of a mercurial talent biting back against harmless questions? I do know of a word battle that broke out between Werder and another Dallas-area reporter not too long ago over Werder's baiting questions in his search for a story, something to which I can certainly attest.

As a reporter my first obvious response is revulsion and to empathize with Werder... anybody's got the right to an honest answer, especially since many of us have doubtless received a similar response from a player or coach in the past. You may not have deserved it, but did Werder? Is there any one across the board response that you can have to something like this?

And perhaps most importantly, how would you respond?

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Maybe he's just tired of ESPN saying he's causing trouble every time he looks just slightly unhappy.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not the first time it's happened. This was posted a couple weeks ago:

http://www.examiner.com/r-2890859~Terrell_Owens_blows_off_Ed_Werder.html

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He has not earned the benefit of the doubt, but I don't blame Owens for being pissed. ESPN does this all the time with guys who have a history of popping off when things aren't necessarily going perfectly with their team. They did the same thing to Moss earlier this year after Brady went out and it was pretty easy to see they were baiting him and he didn't take it.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I dislike T.O. but he can blow off anyone he wants to. Personally, I think this is a pretty funny and subtle way to do it. If he were to go off, ESPN would just use it against him.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Werder goes in XM radio show with Randy Galloway and they usually muck around disparegingly about Dallas-area jocks.
    I say blow 'em off, T.O.
    It's just so nice not having to deal with jocks much anymore. I'll watch from the stands.
    Media can often be asshole-ish, too.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I think T.O. could take a dump and walk out of the bathroom waving his hand in front of his face, and ESPN would try to spin it saying T.O. was signaling that Romo stinks.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Owens is allowed to do whatever he wants.

Hopefully, he and Werder have had a one-on-one chat about it.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Waiting for the crawl on ESPNews: "ESPN's Ed Werder has learned that Terrell Owens thinks he's a jackass."

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I really don't know how Ed is on TV because I really don't watch much ESPN. But I knew him well from one of his newspaper stops and he was a great guy and a driven reporter. He paid his dues, working very hard and making little money, before he caught a break and Fort Worth hired him.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ed Werder is a journalist.
    If any of you had to cover Owens of his piece of shit agent, you would know what Ed -- or any Dallas beat writer -- goes through on a daily basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted