1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-Minus 39 hours and counting before I take the plunge.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Apr 30, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I would really like to hear this story.. at least I didn't bring SJ down!

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Our mutual friend Eric was our minister... he got the certification through the Universal Life Church so he could perform our ceremony for us.... he had everything written down and we rehearsed it Friday and everything was fine... then during the ceremony, he goes through and says...

(budcrew), do you take (xxx) to be your lawfully wedded husband?

Hmm... I'm a guy, by the way, for those who don't know.

It took a second, just enough for the realization to hit that he has mixed up my part of the vow. It got a big laugh from the entire audience, but it was fine... he let the laugh pass and continued.

At the ceremony, he came up to us absolutely horrified saying that he had ruined everything. We quickly told him that it was fine, that it happens when you are speaking in front of a bunch of people and actually it helped to cut the tension a little bit..

The point is is that sometimes something that might be a "big" mistake is nothing worse than something we'll remember about the day forever.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I had no idea zagoshe was an active poster back then.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm also interested in hearing that story.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

After being told by the minister to repat after him "I give you my faith", I told my wife 'I give you my face"

22 years last April, so I don't think it matters much. It's still a family joke though.

And AB, I guess I am one of the three. I get it it...I get jokes

Congrats BC08

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

On my wedding day, the officiant asked me "Will you take Melinda to be your lawfully wedded wife?" and I answered "I will," and everyone laughed -- as if I'm made a mistake and was supposed to say "I do."

My reply later: "He didn't ask 'Do you take ...' he asked 'Will you take ...' "

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

details, details :D

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"No. She placed!"

(sorry, I've waited since Derby Day to post that. It's a new week...)

Draft saved Draft deleted