1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Simers rips colleague, kind of

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

I don't know, I remember something Jim Murray told me when I had aspirations of being a columnist. "They don't give a shit about us." Best advice I ever received. I think about the columnists that were at the times, Murray, Downey, Ostler, Malamud and it makes me sad to read the paper now. I think it's easy to be mean. In So Cal I like reading Randy Youngman at the Register, who seems to have a lot of inside knowledge but really doesn't call that much attention to himself.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Didn't anybody else think that that column was about the Dodgers, not Baxter or his grades?

Ripping someone in jest, by definition, is not ripping. T.J. just used Baxter and his grades as a vehicle.

And, no way is Simers among the most reviled by his peers...some subjects, maybe, but not his peers, especially not any who have worked with him.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Kevin Baxter failed to understand how bad the Dodgers are. Oh, and he's the Dodgers beat writer. Have fun reading stories from him the rest of the year."

I'm not saying it wasn't funny, but I do think he made a valid criticism of Baxter's grade, which I think makes the column sting much more than if it were just some goof, like his quick shots at Plashke and Dwyer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're being too sensitive. I doubt Baxter cared at all. TJ takes shots at Plaschke and Dwyre all the time.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I doubt readers did, either.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very good point.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like T.J. Simers. I also think he's an asshole.

We bitch all the time about how media companies clam up about layoffs or employee suspensions or budget matters and say those in the media should be more forthcoming and set an example.

Then we whine when writers make fun of writers on the staff. What's wrong with that? It's only fair.

Simer's poison is always over the top. You know he's turning it up to 11 so just sit back and enjoy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted