1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Simers' lawsuit against the Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 7, 2015.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Maybe they should have sued. It seems to have worked for him.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Can I get a list of which discriminated-against journalists deserve to be compensated?

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I wonder if this opens the door for that. Hiring a lawyer ain't cheap, though, so this may be a case of the rich getting richer.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All of them.

Don't want that? Then don't discriminate.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

8. KVV33

KVV33 Member

There is a decent argument to be made that TJ invented Deadspin's entire ethos.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes most people go quietly. But some who fight have a case on their hands especially if they secretly tape some of the things coming out of butt kissing executives' mouths. People, please let Simers be the catalyst for MORE lawsuits. I really laugh at the government. Bush wants to extend the deadline for retirement age to 72??? Where the hell are people going to work?? Newspapers consider people useless at 50 basically. Their goal is to get rid of all employees over 45 probably, anybody making half a buck. All businesses are trending this way. So where do the people go to work, Jeb? Burger King from 50 til 72? Uber? Great.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

C'mon Fredrick. Walmart greeters and Publix bag boys are people too.

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I wonder if Simers' attorney took his case on contingency (I'm paid only if you win). I somehow doubt it. I imagine Simers had a lot of lawyers scoff at him before he found one who would take the case and even then I'm sure it has cost Simers quite a bit in fees.

Juries are unpredictable. This case in particular is odd because Simers wasn't even fired and in fact was offered a lucrative (by standards of 99 percent of our field) contract to stay before he left for the OCR.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm sure he had worn out his welcome and they were thrilled when he left. But that's more a product of the modern era in which the idea of catering to the every whim of a "big-name columnist" is absurdly anachronistic.

I hope this gives media companies pause before they immediately target the oldest (and therefore best paid) writers for elimination, but I think it's more likely this case will be an anomaly. ... and probably one that is reduced on appeal.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Why? He was the only one smart enough to pursue it. The others weren't. Seems like to me the others were the douches, not Simers. All this hating on Simers is pathetic and small.

Draft saved Draft deleted