1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Simers' lawsuit against the Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Bitter, too .

PCLoadLetter and JackReacher like this.
  2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

He deserves every penny. This is a lesson to everybody over 50. Save all emails and documentation. Secretly tape meetings where the butt-kissing managers threaten you in order to get you to quit. It's worth trying to hit a 5 million or more dollar payday when they fire you. Age discrimination is rampant in newspapers. Make 'em pay people. DO NOT GO QUIETLY.

KVV33 likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

See, this is the thing, exactly. Simers is one of the few people who would actually have the public recognition, and the stones, to be inclined to ever go through a fight to sue a place at which they worked for years and gave so much blood, sweat and tears. Companies count on that, and usually, they take their chances and are right about people in thinking that they'd probably never do it.

Not so with Simers. Just as when he was a reporter, you don't mess with him. And that's coming from somebody who liked him.

Ace likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I'm happy for Simers. I've seen too many public hangings to think they were all deserved. As for the judgment, I'd bet the $7.1 million will be appealed down to six figures and reduced by the lawyers' 1/3 cut until it comes to about a year's pay for T.J. Still, a hooray from the old folks' home.

Doc Holliday, dixiehack and Ace like this.
  6. KVV33

KVV33 Member

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here: if you are a journalist making a lousy wage and you are pissed at TJ Simers because he won a discrimination lawsuit after making good money in his career, the problem is you. Jealousy and bitterness over someone else's success is pathetic. At some point, the onus is on you to get a better job.

cranberry, Mr. Sunshine and Ace like this.
  8. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Simers was not everyone's idea of a columnist, and that's why he was so good and why, given his undoubted talent, he stood out from the crowd....to call him a hack is ridiculous....

Ace likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Periscoping Clay Travis agrees with you.

So does ol TV here, too.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with this, but I think it misses the point. I doubt most people are pissed because someone was awarded $7.1 mil after making good money at the end of a journalism career. No. It's because that guy was Simers, a guy who has a reputation as a douche, true or not. Meanwhile, plenty of other very talented journalists over 50, who likewise have been forced out, are trying to figure out how to survive until retirement.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I doubt very much if the $7.1 million verdict -- if ever paid -- will affect how many journalists are employed. That comes out of a different pot of money.

And, if they do need to trim costs as a result, seems like the LA Times has some managers and HR folks who would be first in line, based on the suit.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Ace, I wasn't insinuating that the money Simers was awarded will lead to more layoffs, though nothing would surprise me at this point. I was merely stating that so many in our business have lost work who could likewise claim age discrimination. That Simers is the one guy who could see money as a result is nauseating.

Draft saved Draft deleted