1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Quinn leaving NY Daily News for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Fainaru-Wada and Quinn to ESPN

You knew this was coming and you couldn't stop it ....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How about an investigative piece into why no athletes have taken their spouse's name and added it, with a hyphen, to the end of their names? Misogynist bastards.

3. creamora

creamora Member

The steroids in sports story is only at half-time. The world's appetite is massive and continuing to grow. TJ is a great reporter. However, Fainaru-Wada is a one trick pony who was spoon fed. His body of music is all in the same key and most of the time he plays out of tune.

4. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Creamora's assesssment of MFW is harsh. But it is true that he was not an impact player before BALCO.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Big fan of irony, Cream?

6. creamora

creamora Member

Whick part of the irony. The trick or the pony. My pony knows lots of tricks. Nobody in the world of sports journalism had ever even heard of Fainaru-Wada before BALCO. Let's face the facts. TJ Quinn was kicking ass on the sports beat before BALCO. Fainaru-Wada was simply spoon fedn used as a puppet and then he cashed in with a book advance. Without the grand jury leaks there is no Game of Shadows, period. Elliott Almond is a great reporter and he couldn't compete with Fainaru-Wada because he was being used by Troy Ellerman and Novitzky. GOS contains a bunch of lies by both Ellerman and Novitzky.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Such as?

8. creamora

creamora Member

Good Doctor,

I have posted many of the lies contained in GOS and you've read my posts. Do a search?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you really wanted the truth out, you'd post the lies as well as proof that they are, in fact, lies, but I'm sure you're too busy in your basement chemistry lab to bother.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What she said. You're correct in that you've refuted GOS with 75 percent of your posts, but none of those posts contains definitive proof that GOS is factually incorrect. You simply provide your opinion. Why should we choose to believe you? We're journalists; we deal in facts. Provide facts, and we'll damn sure listen.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

In a desperate attempt to move this thread back toward its subject (though please feel free to continue the GOS debate as well ... I'm enjoying that) what precisely is ESPN up to? Are they trying to create an investigative team, like the one Quinn was on at the Daily News? If, so, I think there is tremendous potential for the WWL to gain credibility in journalistic circles. Anyone know?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They're trying to create everything - the must-read Web site for news, updates, blogs, columns, etc. The must-read magazine for some incredible writing, incredible stories. I've seen the list of ideas they floated to a writer they are chasing and it is very impressive (and they've targeted the right guy to pull it off). The must-watch sports news show for a little bit of everything.
    They're tossing the "synergy" thing around too much but this may be one place it can work.

Pretty much every day, I hear a new name ESPN is pursuing. A serious name. As I've said before, let's check back on 1/1/08.

Draft saved Draft deleted