1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Quinn leaving NY Daily News for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

In theory, they could do more and have more resources. But I really question whether something like that is possible at ESPN.

Is the commitment from top ESPN management there? I would think you would have more people you would have to deal with. I mean, consider ESPN's reputation. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but what major investigative pieces has ESPN initiated? I know there is Outside The Lines, but that is more of a talk show and checks out something which usually somebody in a newspaper and magazine started. What do they originate?

2. creamora

creamora Member

Fainaru-Wada and Quinn to ESPN

Mark Fainaru-Wada and TJ Quinn have been hired by ESPN.
    Apparently, there continues to be huge interest by ESPN in reporting on the use of performance enhancing drugs at the elite level of sport. Both have and extensive body of work in this area. Is the BALCO story only at half-time? The world seems to have a massive appetite for sports drug scandals. This story has certainly been good for business.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

I would suggest with the hiring of that pair, it looks like they are going to start.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

So in other words, they're fucked.

Congrats to TJ, who kicked all sorts of ass on the Mets beat in the late '90s and earlier this decade. I wonder if his critic on this board still thinks he's only done "one" story on the steroid saga.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Fainaru-Wada and Quinn to ESPN

Yeah but was it posted from a phone, Bucky? WAS IT POSTED FROM A PHONE??

And that Fainaru-Wada...he's the one whose work on Game of Shadows you mocked, right, Creamora? I guess someone thinks he's doing something right. We are fortunate that you do whatever it is that you do instead of hiring for The Worldwide Leader.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think most sports fans don't care. That's not to disparage the work of the reporters. That's not to say ESPN or anybody else shouldn't want to be No. 1 in covering it. But I don't think there's a "massive appetite." Most people would rather watch the game.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yay, sportschick!!!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Say this for Chickie: She belts the BP fastballs out of the park.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I try, folks, I try.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If Fainaru-Wada's been hired to contribute to E60, great hire. I personally fall into the category of "just let me see the game and I don't care about steroids" (but I AM curious to see who's on the list...) but FW's certainly parlayed himself into a decent gig.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ditto.
    (No Rush Limbaugh reference intended).

Draft saved Draft deleted