1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-ball team DQ'd for cheating

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank god somebody else ruined these seven kids' chances at college scholarships.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Makes em tougher. Builds character. Now shut up and drink your Ovaltine. (Sorry for no blue font, but I fast replied this. Of course I'm being sarcastic -- six games in 90 degree heat? Jeebus Cripes.)

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Right on. I've coached baseball from the T-balll level to high-school age and I can tell you that even the 15 year olds I coached forgot about the outcome of a game either way five minutes after. The younger ones don't care during the freaking game. Once it's over, they want the snack or they want to go to Dairy Queen. The only thing important to them is whether the mother in charge of snacks that day brings cool ones instead of carrots and celery.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My dad was my younger brother's T-ball coach, and I was the assistant. We only lost one game in two years, and it was in a local tournament to a team in our league we had beaten several times (usually in close games) in that two-year period. When they beat us, they had two new players who were HUGE -- "my kid's friends from the neighborhood ... we have their birth certificates," the coach said.

My brother came up to me quietly during one of the games and said, "I know those two guys. They go to my school. They're in second grade." My brother was in kindergarten.

Turned out those kids were older -- duh -- and they tried to award our team the first-place trophies about a week later.

My dad let the other team's kids keep their trophies and just had me make some certificates in Word for our kids. He said there was no need to punish some little kids, and he was right. He just made sure to call that coach "a fucking t-ball cheating son of a bitch" and laugh at him the next several times he saw him.

I love my dad.

That coach was a prick, and it's a shame, because his kid is a great kid. The coach would have his pitcher roll balls to the first basemen to get kids out -- "hey, there's no rule against it, and it's a better bet," the jackass once told me. Near the end of the season, the park made it a rule, and the umps jokingly called it the "Coach (Jackass) Rule."

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Draft saved Draft deleted