1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-ball team DQ'd for cheating

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 8, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When parents say it's about the kids' winning trophies, what they really mean is it's about them wanting trophies for their kids...
    Parents suck.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You only write about us when we get caught cheating!

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's tee ball, not T-ball. The ball is placed on a tee, ergo, tee ball. That is all.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee_Ball

Tee Ball or T-Ball is a sport based on baseball and is intended as an introduction for young players to develop baseball skills and have fun. The name Tee Ball is a registered trademark while T-Ball is the generic name, although many sources use Tee Ball as a generic name.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I eagerly await the day when a Tee-Ball or T-Ball or Tea-Ball player is accused of taking steroids. That, my friend, will be the greatest day in the history of competitive sports.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Parents of kids this age, by and large, are immature and underexposed to the real world. They see those first few games as the start of Junior's budding major league career. They are more zealous than any college football crowd in America.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So they didn't really cheat. They just had to add players so they could play. In my opinion it was a good decision by the coach to add to players, even though late, so that everyone could compete. I'd do the same thing. Even if it meant a dq down the line. The game is all about fun, and I am sure the kids had fun playing.

However, that is ridiculous that 5-7 year olds are playing in 6-7 game tournaments. Too much at too little of an age.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Like that?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Gee, can you generalize and stereotype any more? In my experience having coached youth league teams, your statement is the opposite of what I've experienced. You get a few parents who are particularly competitive or have major-league dreams, but even that doesn't start until the kids are older and they've shown themselves to have some modicum of talent. Particularly with baseball and softball, most parents' priority is just getting through the damn game, especially in a Chicago April. The biggest cheer my daughter's softball team (7-8) got was when I told our parents that we weren't going to play the sixth inning because of time and weather.

As for these parents in Iowa, without a LOT more information, all you can say is everybody's wrong, and everybody's right. The coaches should have checked with the league about adding players. The league should have talked to the coaches the first time someone complained or noted that there were new players on the team. We don't know why the coaches didn't check, and why the league didn't act sooner. I have some idea -- a total lack of communication, which is pretty common at this level, given everyone is volunteering and otherwise has lives.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The bottom line is that adults continue to make asses of themselves by trying to apply the pro and college model to youth sports. There is absolutely no reason for 5-7 year olds to be competing in a tournament and vying for trophies. None. We're talking kindergarten to second grade. Most of the kids probably don't even understand how the bracket system works, for god's sake. In my experience coaching T-ball, every kid got three turns at bat, there were so many errors that it was impossible to keep track of the score, and at the end of the game both teams were pretty sure they won. Which is as it should be.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

How I loved Princesscreole's tball league. No outs, no runs. Everyone hits, and after the "grand slam" the inning ends. Three innings. Kids get drink and snack and go home happy, and so do the parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted