1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

System of a Down

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anybody listen to them?

Just downloaded a couple of songs.

Good Lord, if I listened to these guys for more than 30 minutes or so, I'd have to go run 5K.

These dudes have WAY, WAY too much energy.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I like Toxicity.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I listened to a couple songs during my freshman year of college. Whatever was on the campus radio station, I heard. I enjoyed them, but their style really isn't my kind of music.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Serj Tankian (sp?), the frontman, just released a solo album you could also check out.

5. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I got into these guys about six years or so ago. I still pump it at the gym when I need a little motivation to run the last mile or so (which I must say takes me longer than 2 songs).

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Several of their songs now go into my mp3, such as Forest, Toxicity, Chop Suey, Aerials.....at this rate, with me running or whatever to these guys, I'll be at my goal by this weekend.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Get pissed off to them and add "Cochise" by Audioslave in there and you'll get fired up.

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Toxicity is an absolutely phenomenal album, and I'm not even really into the nu-metal genre, or whatever you want to call it.

Mesmerize is also a very solid album.

9. azom

azom Member

System of a Down is my favorite band, and I don't say that lightly. They've put together some great stuff that you'd never hear on the radio (at least not in central Wyoming). Past the singles, there are some great aggressive metal songs. Every album has its high points, with Toxicity being the best IMHO. Everything after Toxicity, though, seems to be just a tad too polished; the self-titled album is pretty raw, but that's what I love about it.

Here are some songs that could get you into them, the ones you probably haven't heard on the radio: Suite-Pee, War?, Prison Song, Deer Dance, Science, Highway Song, Thetawaves, Roulette (OK, admittedly their least aggressive song, but I still like it), This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song, Attack, She's Like Heroin. And that's the short list.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm not heavy (no pun intended) into the nu-metal genre either, but I do like this band a lot, with Toxicity (no surprise!) being my favorite. The three albums that came after it aren't quite as strong overall, but each of them have some really good songs.

I actually got into them because of my co-worker about four years ago, as she would play Toxicity on the little boombox under her desk later in the night after all the reporters and supervisors left. I had known of SOAD but didn't listen to them because I assumed they weren't my cup of tea. One night the co-worker asked me if it was OK if she put the CD on, and inside I kind of groaned but I didn't want to be a dick so I said "yeah, go ahead." After about the third listen within the next week, I suddenly thought to myself "Damn, this is a good CD," and I've been hooked ever since.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have two of the Downies' CDs. They keep me awake whenever I have to drive I-49 between Shreveport and Lafayette.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

After taking their name from an old Genesis album title, I wonder what their influences actually are\were.
    Genesis, back in S.O.A.D. days, was pretty deep with their approach.

I've never listened to this new band. I'll Google/You Tube them.

Draft saved Draft deleted