1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syria, Assad and planes and ports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Doom and gloom, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

No, I guess we should simply apologize for being who we are, and kneel toward Mecca. Spineless liberals on the front rows, of course.

By the way, we WON WORLD WAR II, when we knew how to fight a war. Too bad you spongespines have thrown away the blueprint.

You do whatever you have to do to win a war. Internment camps, nuclear solutions. It happened. We won. And we're losing this war because of all you fucking apologists.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As I recall, during WW II, we were fighting armies of Germans, Italians and Japanese -- not terrorists.

If you can get these terrorists to line up and march to war against us, then do it, Dammit.

Otherwise, why not take your sturdy spine down the the recruiter's office. I'm sure the Army still needs potato peelers.

Songbird likes this.
  3. Doom and gloom

We're fighting an extremist religious sect. There are nations who support this. Stripping our "financial aid" to these countries might be a, say, non-combative act with some potency.

So tell me your solution.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

May qualify for the dumbass post of the month.

It's hard to know where to begin with this mindless nonsense.

5. Doom and gloom

How about asking yourself this:
    What did we do to win World War II?

Do you regret those actions?

If so, then I'm glad you weren't Roosevelt or Truman. You'd be dodging Hitler's paper-hanging parade everywhere you go, or we'd be not just buying Japanese products, your women would be their sex slaves. Just ask China about that one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about making a real push to get Americans to conserve oil and incentives to find alternative fuels and getting rid of the leverage the Middle East has on us.

And putting efforts into ways to fight terrorists through law enforcement and working with other countries, rather than waging war in a country that had little to do with terrorism.

7. Doom and gloom

Oh, OK. And let Israel be wiped off the face of the earth, since we wouldn't need oil.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems a bit of a non-sequitor, Dammit.

We could help Israel from a position of strength rather than one of weakness.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I wouldn't say everyone here is being an apologist for terrorists by saying that the US should not strip the civil liberties of its citizens. That is going a bit far, but hey, all your comments here have been extreme, so it's no surprise.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can you translate that into English, please?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit is an idiot.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Hey, it's babble's karate buddy. Before I start, I'd like to know one thing: What town has the distinct pleasure of claiming you and babble as citizens? I only ask because I'd like to make sure that if I ever find myself there, I go nowhere near the water.

Now, WWII. For the last time, this war in Iraq and the "WAR ON TERROR" is nothing like -- not even remotely close to -- WWII. Comparing the two is idiotic and proves without a shadow of a doubt that a history book is like kryptonite to you. We had a clear enemy in WWII. They marched in rows, had fancy uniforms, flew specially-painted airplanes and followed the rules of combat -- for the most part.

We've got none of that in Iraq or anywhere in the Middle East. So attempting to fight those wars in the same manner we fought WWII is a bit stupid.

Let me break this to you, dammit: We ARE NOT going to win the war on terror. We're never gonna drop our guns, bring all the soldiers home and declare a nice national holiday for the day the terrorists fell. Ain't gonna happen.

For every terrorist we kill, three take his place. For every terrorist camp we destroy, there are five under construction to take its place. You, me and everybody in this country will be at risk of a terrorist attack every single day of our lives for as long as we live. That's never going to change.

The only thing we can do as a country to combat these terrorists is to make damn sure we pour every cent we can into intelligence agencies. We make sure we develop strong connections throughout the Middle East. We make sure we've got every willing country in the world working with us and we make sure that we're working with them. The only way to have any success in this war is find out about the bad shit before it happens to us. And we don't have to violate the rights of our citizens to do any of that.

To do all of that, we've got to stop pissing people off. We've got to stop running around acting like we know what's best for every other country. We've got to stop forcing our way of life on people who don't want it. We have nothing to prove. The rest of the world, they know we're the strongest country. They know that if it comes right down to it, we'll wipe their ass right off the map. There's no need to say it, no need to show it. If we just work a little harder at being smart, it will pay off much, much better than trying to prove how strong we are.

And with that, I'm officially re-declaring my candidacy for president. dog in '08 -- now accepting donations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.