1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse fires Greg Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Turner Gill can do much better than Syracuse. Much better.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You'd certainly think so, but it might depend on which jobs come open, and when.

I mean, at this particular instant, Washington, I would imagine, would be at least interested at looking at him. But is UW a dramatically better job than Syracuse? On balance, it's probably a better overall situation (public university, Seatle vs. Syracuse, I suspect the money would be somewhat better), but to take the job Gill would be moving to a completely unfamiliar part of the country -- if he goes to Syracuse basically he just keeps his current recruiting routes and contacts completely intact (plus in the Big East he wouldn't have to deal with USC every year). It might be a place where he could succeed sooner.

Of course, there are a lot of jobs which could potentially open up which would be no-brainers over SU, but at the moment, none of them are open.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know everyone knew it was going down already - my only guess is that they needed to announce it to help Robinson and staff get a jump start on new gigs.
    I've got to think a Big East job would be a pretty attractive thing - probably won't take much to take a program to the next level and you don't have a traditional monster owning the conference.

Turner Gill would be a great choice, where else is he going to go where he has a better chance of succeeding? I don't see any Big 12 jobs opening, I don't see him getting something in the ACC or SEC and I don't think a Big 10 is going to open up.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kansas State is already open.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Can't believe the front-runners are believed to be Edsall, Kiffin and Skip Holtz. I really thought Syracuse was ready to jack up their program, though both Holtz and Edsall currently make more than Robinson was being paid.
    If you are going to increase the salary above $1.75 mil you can probably do better than any of those guys.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Syracuse probably could do better than those guys, but those who are better can do better than Syracuse.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rich Kotite and Bruce Coslett are available.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Dick MacPherson is available, too.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We'll always have Ben Schwartzwalder.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now that Glen Mason's career options have dwindled somewhat, I would guess his name would pop up, too.

He actually might be a good pick, too. His specialty is raising comatose programs up to a fairly competitive level (mainly through the use of pathetic pussy scheduling, but they do win a few games), and at his age (58), he won't be a hot prospect for every other job in the nation anymore, either.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Color me shocked that this happened.

Whoever said that Syracuse is going to be a losing program until Gross is fired is correct. Total douche.

Dr. J says that almost every fan wants Turner Gill. He took all the players in New York that Syracuse didn't recruit and won with them.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems amazing to me, but I suppose both have gotten raises while Robinson hasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted