1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse assistant facing molestation allegations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I get that. And I'm not saying you're not right.

But as it was phrased originally, you said it put a spin on some of those columns, questions they might consider themselves. Which I took to mean the writers themselves were guilty of missing out on a story. And I was just disagreeing with that point.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Holy crap. The only question now is did Boeheim know and/or should he have known.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Here's the other thing I was wondering: how much further does this go? We have two major programs -- Penn State football, Syracuse basketball -- enveloped in this. Anyone else coming?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One thing that becomes clear, whether it's those two cases or Gus Malzahn's wife or Rex Ryan getting caught up in a foot fetish or the Lions assistant going through the drive-thru naked -- coaching has a high proportion of fucking weirdos. It is not a healthy lifestyle.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, I knew nothing of Malzahn's wife, but after this video ... I want to go drinking with her.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/11/sweet-videos-auburn-coachs-wife-goes-way-overboard/

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think we should expect it.

Coaching allows predators to be around kids. They have a position of authority over the kids, and a position of trust in the community.

Much like the Priesthood, it's going to draw predators.

We've seen this at the high school and amateur level already. This case got some attention here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65673/

And, Graham James obviously received a lot of attention.

With these stories coming out, and with the accusers being believed, more victims may be willing to come forward. This too is what happened in the Catholic Church scandal.

Not being believed is a huge fear. Who would believe you -- and the victims are often kids with troubled backgrounds -- vs. a respected pillar of the community?

We're going to see more of this. There's no reason to believe there aren't more folks like this in the college coaching ranks. It only stands to reason that there are.

If any administration is sitting on information, they better be double checking it right now.

And, they better be doing some real self examination to see if their institution is the kind of place that would cover up these allegations rather than deal with them.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I had my doubts but after the tape of Fine's wife came out, this is game over for Fine.
    And if Boeheim had not vigorously defended Fine and attacked the accusers, I'd think he could have survived, now, I don't believe so.
    Unbelievable.

8. LongTimeListener

Oh, no doubt. And then you can drop her off at my house.

But that's a strange family.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Syracuse paper had the Laurie Fine tape in 2002.

www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/su_coach_bernie_fines_wife_tol.html

What is a reasonable expectation of any news organization dealing with an illegally recorded piece of hearsay?

10. LongTimeListener

Not illegal. ESPN story made it clear that the people speaking on both sides of the phone were in states where such a recording is legal.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry. Meant "secretly."

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Clearly, the most important thing to do here, is to defend ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted