1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse assistant facing molestation allegations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think the answer to your question is: sex.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

After "Outside the Lines" first reported the allegations against Fine on Nov. 17, the now-39-year-old Davis shared the tape with Syracuse police, one of several law-enforcement agencies who have opened an investigation into the case. Davis first gave the tape to ESPN in 2003. At the time, ESPN did not report Davis' accusations, or report the contents of the tape, because no one else would corroborate his story.

Isn't a law enforcement agency a "that" rather than a "who?"

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would go "which" there.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I haven't been following this real close but did anybody ask Davis why he didn't give the tape to the police in 2003?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which? I don't know, the which/that always confuses me.

But yes, not "who."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One potential victim is himself accused of abuse. A vicious cycle.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Curious about Tomaselli's father. There's a line in the story that the two are estranged, and the father does not believe the son's story. Would like to know more about that.

This appears to be a much tougher case than Sandusky's -- with the lack of damning grand jury testimony.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Father says the kid never went to Pittsburgh with Fine.

I'd think it could be proven one way or the other if he did or didn't.

9. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

I don't see how ESPN is any better than many of their pundits are making Paterno out to be in this one. That tape is nearly as damning as the word of a graduate assistant, isn't it? Yet, they neither went to the authorities nor ran the story.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd put it in the "as bad as Paterno" category, but yes, there absolutely are some valid questions about ESPN culpability here. Appears they've been holding audio tape evidence that a predatory pedophile is actively roaming the Syracuse sidelines since 2003, yet never informed any investigative authorities, and perhaps never would've done anything about it if the Sandusky case hadn't come up and apparently set off the "hey, these coach molester stories are a big deal" light bulbs at the WWL. Wonder how much molestation this guy got away during the 8 plus years that ESPN has been holding that tape yet telling nobody.

Kinda puts a different spin on those (belated) outraged ESPN columns demanding to know why Penn State officials didn't act sooner and stronger. Questions they might consider themselves.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In what world does that even make sense? What would a columnist have to do with this not being reported? Do you think Jemele Hill (just picking a name) knew about this tape in 2003?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should've phrased that differently. It was aimed more at the institution as a whole than specific writers. No, I don't believe every ESPN columnist who wrote a Penn State column was aware of this audio tape, and I don't blame individual writers who didn't have such knowledge. But they are still writing for ESPN, under ESPN's authority, on ESPN's site. Their work is attributed to ESPN, and it now appears ESPN may be guilty of the same sort of institutional corruption and inaction in response to molestation knowledge for which they authorized their writers to rail at Penn State.

I don't know who at ESPN had specific knowledge of the audio tape, but some high up folks obviously did, and they've got some questions to answer. Why the hell keep it secret since 2003? Why the hell didn't they mention the audiotape in their original story about Fine a few weeks ago--was it just so they could get the double ratings boost by breaking the tape in a seperate Outside the Lines piece? Damning evidence of an active predatory pedophile at large is not the kind of story you sit on.

Draft saved Draft deleted