1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse assistant facing molestation allegations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Doug Gottlieb just told Colin Cowherd that Bernie Fine was his mom's childhood friend, and that his dad has known and worked with him for 40 years...and he says ESPN wouldn't report it if it wasn't true, but he wants it to all be untrue.

In other words, he didn't exactly give a blazing defense of his longtime family friend.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Ben Roethlisberger would like to have a word with you.

3. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Alone, in the bathroom. I'd advise against it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You know I would really hate to think someone would make this kind of shit up, but based on what I've seen on this one, I'm not buying it.

It sounds like this guy has been looking for someone to do the story for several years and ESPN finally bit. Wasn't the second person to come forward his brother?

I may be 100 percent wrong, but something really seems wrong about this one.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The lesson from Duke Lacrosse: Multiple sources.

Hell, I saw the Madden story posted here back in April about Sandusky, and I remember thinking:

1) Hmm, weird. I remember Sandusky being Paterno's heir-apparent in the late 1990s then he "retired" and that was pretty much the last we heard of him. Strange.

2) Sounds serious but at this point there doesn't seem to be any real credible independent sources.

3) IF this turns out to be true it will be a bombshell. But it's Mark Madden. ::) ::)

Then the DA report came out. :eek: :eek:

As far as the Syracuse/Fine situation is concerned, I think we're at about the same stage (without the complicating factor of Mark Madden).

If a boatload of evidence, witnesses, additional victims, etc etc explodes as it did with Sandusky, the thing will go sky-high. But right now we have about 1 1/2 alleged victims, with a high possibility of collusion.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Haven't read the whole thread, but doesn't the accuser say the coach abused him until he was 27?!?!?! At some point, doesn't the part about being a man come into play... what could he have possibly held over you to let him do that to you for 9 years of your adult life?!?! I ain't buyin what he is selling.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You need to more fully research the full psychological aspects of this, and a double-handful of case histories.

The predators know what kind of mental advantage they're seizing as they're selecting and preying on their victimes.

Many of the poor-bastard victimes can't tear themselves away from Big Brother.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One PR conclusion which can be drawn from the cases of Sandusky vs. Fine:

It's always much better if your public statements on the allegations begin with the statement "I DID NOT DO IT" as opposed to, "we were just horsing around," "everybody was just having fun," and "I did not engage in sexual activity with every young person I worked with."

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wow. Fine's wife apparently knew something was going on between her husband and the ball boy. She must be a piece of work to still be married to him. She also hooked up with Davis when he was 18.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7286347/otl-audio-tape-syracuse-orange-assistant-bernie-fine-wife-admits-worries-abuse

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Jesus.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And we're off.

Bye, bye, Jimmy.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT is some damning audio.

Draft saved Draft deleted