1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse assistant facing molestation allegations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Expect a few more cases to come out of the woodwork in various programs around the country. WWL admits to knowning about the story in 2003.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7248184/syracuse-police-investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sheesh.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Davis said he was molested by Fine until he was around 27 years old. "

Huh?

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Probably meant raped.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If folks think ESPN went out of its way not to criticize Paterno, wait til they get a load of Vitale, Digger and the boys apologizing for Boeheim ...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Either way it seems odd that the guy continued to allow it to happen.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If the victim's story claiming Boeheim knew about him staying in hotel rooms with Fine is true, Boeheim is a goner.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I know I'm a Syracuse fangirl loser, but if the police department, University and a (cough) serious media outlet says there's smoke but no fire, what do you do?

Issue a statement saying as much? Say the guy is innocent, you've got a hell of mess on your hands.

I'm inclined to see this shake out a little bit over the next few days, then hang the bastard if he's guilty. But he molested the guy until he was 27? Don't pedophiles like children because they're children? Still it seems strange that he was with the boy so much.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The idea of every once mistreated former Daily Orange staffer returning to report on this story is delightful - and the seventh level of hell for Boeheim.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's OK if they don't want to do an Outside the Lines expose on it based on one complaint, at the time, in 2003. But it gets questionable to me that they sit on the information for eight years until someone else comes forward. Did this run on Sportscenter at all? Kind of like the Sandusky case, maybe if they run something at the time it prevents it from happening again.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What do you run?

"A man is alleging that a Syracuse assistant molested him until 1997, but there is no proof and no witnesses and really nothing except this guy's word. Also, it continued until he was 27."

WTF?

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The Post-Standard adds quite a bit of insight. It investigated this story in 2003, but ultimately decided not to run anything because the allegations could not be corroborated. Boeheim sticking up for fine.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/assistant_syracuse_university.html

Draft saved Draft deleted