1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Synthetic Pot????

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Ugh, I've done my share of reporting on this in Idaho. What a lot of people find scary is they have no idea as to the long-term effects of smoking this crap. There's no telling what it's going to do to someone's body that could lead to health problems down the road.

The legislature added it to the controlled substances list in the last session, but the cops can hardly enforce it. New chemical compounds hit the market that aren't on the ban list. Also, a presumptive field test doesn't exist. Without that, cops can't hold anyone for possession and ask the prosecutor for a criminal complaint. They can only seize it, send it to the state lab and find out if it's the banned compounds ... about a month later.

So, the cops are trying to go after the smoke shop owners. A lot of them manufacture their own brands with chemicals not on the ban list, so they can stay in business. The law is always a step behind.

Also, with so much pot and meth out there, narcs aren't going to bother with spice unless it becomes a bigger problem.

Anyway, that's what I've learned from my own work, but it's by no means the end-all be-all on the subject.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There was a product called "Mr. Nice Guy" marketed here. Sold through gas stations. Kids started flipping out on the stuff and it was banned rather quickly.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I presume at least one newspaper ran a No More Mr. Nice Guy headline.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Sadly ( and I am sort of ashamed to admit this), one of my former co-workers makes "spice" and sells it in local stores. He was laid off as an editor about six months ago, and can't find work. That is his "reasoning."

He doesn't use it, but says the contact from making the stuff just about floors him. Said it is a brutally, intense high.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The drug of choice for Hannah Montana.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/09/miley-cyrus-salvia-marie-claire-bad-decision-mistake-bong-smoke-video/#.TqGNt94Uqso

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Man, I really sound like a grad of Weed College on this thread. I promise I'm not some stoner.

Anyway, I think salvia is something else entirely.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

New AMC show: "Breaking News Bad"

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Salvia is like a psychadelic, way worse than K2 or spice. The difference is that salvia, like K2 and spice, is still legal and sold in headshops and the like. The effects are much different though. This is what I hear at least... :X

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We had a big K2 "scare" here a year ago where every local town went all Reefer Madness and voted ordinances banning its sale in C-stores.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great salvia clip from Tosh.0 last year. Go find it!

Draft saved Draft deleted