1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Synthetic Pot????

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Oct 20, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I just read the report that the LSU players were apparently suspended for smoking synthetic cannabis.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7128059/lsu-tigers-tyrann-mathieu-tharold-simon-spencer-ware-tested-positive-sources-say

I've never heard about this (yes I'm an old guy with young kids so I'm likely out of the loop) but don't people look at what meth and other synthetic drugs do to your body? Don't they at least compare it to what an organic drug does (potheads are simply hungry; their teeth don't fall out and their skin doesn't look like saran wrap around half-eaten drumstick)?

Idiots. Just drink. There's no drug test for inebriation (sp) right?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes. Huge problem among young people. Synthetic drugs sold as herbal inscense with names like K2 and Spike 99 (two of the earliest brands) are being made illegal by most states. Although all high-inducing drugs are prohibited by Army regulations, many divisions and brigades are drafting policies directed specifically at these things. Fairly dangerous, from what I understand. There are tests for them, but they are not currently covered under standard Army urinalysis policies. We have to specifically ask for them.

Lots of barracks lawyers think there's no test for them, so they won't get caught. We've had problems with them in the barracks for going on three years.

3. This ... And the shit's sideffects are waaaaay, waaaaay, waaaaay worse than the natural stuff.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This isn't the "spice" or the "bath salts," is it? That stuff is nasty. Makes crystal meth look like a party drug.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Probably naive but one of the earliest rules I chose to follow was Natural >> synthetic.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe it is "spice".. but "bath salts" are something else.. also nasty as hell.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is spice or Spike 99 or K2 or Khronic.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And it's not all that, truth be told. My boy smoked some and said it was like weed, but with a shorter, more intense high. I wouldn't do it because I don't want to find out what that shit can do to your body, but it's not meth.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If nothing else, stay organic (as my dr. buddy once told me.)

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Similar name, different drug. Equally stupid for two guys with bright futures to be fooling around with.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Seth Rogen's dad (Harold Ramis) said in Knocked Up: "No pills, no powders. If it grows in the ground it's probably OK."

And yeah, "spice" has become a huge problem in this area. Our paper won a public service award last year for reporting on early law enforcement efforts to control it, which eventually led to state legislation.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

K2 sucks. So does spice. Only people on probation smoke that shit. Ain't nothin' like the real thang, baby...

Draft saved Draft deleted