1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syndicated radio host "Papa Joe" Chevalier dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Rodd and Rae (can't remember if the show had a name or if it was just the Rodd and Rae Show or something) were around in the early to mid-90s, when the local station debuted its 24/7 sportstalk format (a rarity back then). Struggling to remember much about their deal, except they were into pro wrestling. Fun show from what I remember, though.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Ahh...I didn't start listening to One-on-One until the late 90s.

Here's another old-school sports talk name: Sports Byline USA ... with ... name escaping me right now .. Ron something. The thinking man's sports talk radio ... which wasn't always an oxymoron.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

The only exception to the Lakers Love-In being the Petros and Money Show, where any mention that maybe Kobe Bryant is not the same player he was three years ago leads to a torrent of calls from angry Lakers fans.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was Papa Joe.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And still on the air: http://sportsbyline1.com/

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Love his show. No hyperbole.

As for the benefits of a college education, you cannot look at it from you perspective, you have to look at it from an inner city kid, there is almost no chance he is either equipped to get an education or will use the resources availa

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

my buddy worked at a station that had the Sports Babe show in the mid-late 90s. he told me she hated being called Nancy and would hang up on people for doing it. so of course we'd call and say "Hey Nancy great show."

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She needed to be taken down, regularly. An ego, without the needed support.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that, because SNR changed its clock this week. Instead of flashes every 20 minutes that carried over from the One-on-One era, now there's only two per hour, at the top and bottom of each hour with soft breaks at :10 and :40.

It's actually pretty jarring when you've listened for almost 20 years, you flip over at 20 past to catch a flash, and the host is burning a segment.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I spent some time with Ron when he brought his show to Germany and the military hospital where I worked in public affairs. He hosted a week's worth of shows there and devoted lots of time with the wounded warriors ... also traveling on the first part of that trip to Afghanistan and Iraq to do a string of live shows.

12. sctvman

sctvman New Member

I do remember when One on One was the only one around. It was a big deal for your college team to be mentioned on the radio. There was no other sports talk on the radio back in the mid and late 90s. In our area, you had the local show from 4-6pm only, then SportsTalk with Phil Kornblut (state-wide show) from 6-8. That was it for any local talk except during football season.

Some stations carried SEC shows like "Conference Calls". In SC, and probably other states, they used to have recruiting shows on Sunday nights during the peak time of the year, before it was so easy to get the info from the internet.

Whatever they said made national news. I remember Peter Brown (who is still on SNR), and used to listen to him for hours at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted