1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syndicated radio host "Papa Joe" Chevalier dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arnie Spanier is currently employed by 105.3 FM in Dallas, also known as CBS Wants A Sports Station In A Top Five Market Despite A Sub-1.0 Book.

(They even tapped Sean Salisbury for a short while. For a brief while they employed both Salisbury and former KTCK host Greg Williams, who famously told Keyshawn Johnson in an interview that Salisbury "wasn't that great." Awkward.)

I remember Bob Kemp on One-On-One Sports -- his big thing was the Dodgers Bad Fact of the Day. He held over for a brief while into the SNR era.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re Papa Joe, whenever The Ticket had to go to network early, the Hardline would encourage P1s to call into Papa Joe's show and ask for Cajun cooking recipes. Good times.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Renshaw was great, used to play South Park clips coming back from or going to commercials. also said his sister gave Pete Harnish a hand job, IIRC she even called and admitted it. Is Renshaw still on the air?

The game Spanier played where it was 3 answers and he gave clues and you had to pick the right answer was classic. the best one i remember was Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler.

4. yea, who could forget Arnie Spanier's theme song, hand-clappin from Red Prosock. One-on-one used to be the only game in town here too, and I really enjoyed listening to Papa Joe. I think he was the late afternoon guy here, so I liked listening on the way home from work and to my softball games. All of those guys just seemed somehow different than ESPN and FoxSports radio. Papa Joe will be missed. RIP.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but I can't put my finger on it. Two theories:

1) nostalga for a time when sports radio was actually a first outlet for reaction about sports news; Internet access was minimal and charged per-minute, and we only had the one ESPN

2) by not being pegged to ESPN or Fox, they had a better case for representing regular sports fans. professional but less polished, almost populist. and without an ESPN or Fox to cozy up to or its policies to adhere to, they could provide a wider array of personalities.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I certainly listened to that whole line of hosts when WNSP from Mobile's signal would trickle over the state line into Mississippi at night. We couldn't pick it up inside the newsroom, so once the presses were rolling I'd enjoy listening in my car. RIP Papa Joe

7. Just-in-case-you-did-not-know-this . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

. . . . . . .

I'm Arnie Spanier!

8. I think a lot of it has to do with percieved notions about the companies. I'm sure ESPN radio isn't as bad as I think it is, but I never rolled my eyes while listening to one-on-one like I do with ESPN when they go on and on about the NBA like everyone has this HUGE interest in it. they only do it because they have the contract. Same thing they did with hockey before it. It always felt like *just* sports talk with one on one. Too political with ESPN radio in so many ways.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Now that you mention it, I was passing through and he said he had just started a new gig. That must have been it.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Papa Joe was OK, I couldn't stand Arnie Spanier, and I was a pretty big Peter Brown fan. (Where is he now?)

And Nasty may be the most annoying personality in the history of sports radio not named Freddie Coleman. Axing Brown for him was stupid.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Knew Joe, fairly well. His dream was to be the Rush of sports-talk radio.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Well, he certainly had the misogyny part down.

Draft saved Draft deleted