1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syndicated radio host "Papa Joe" Chevalier dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I believe he was on Sporting News radio for a time:

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/-papa-joe-chevalier-dies-at-age-62-123167828.html?ref=828

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

RIP - I really enjoyed Papa Joe's show

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did to, I have to admit. Fun Vegas guy.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I remember listening to him 20 years ago. Him and crap I can't remember the guy who followed him on One on One Sports back in the day. Of course I thought he was 62 back then. But he was entertaining.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, before ESPN Radio really took off, One on One Sports was the only national sports talk game in town. Used to love to listen to Papa Joe, Arnie Spanier and the uber-caustic Bob Kemp during my long trips to and from college back in the day.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Arnie! That's who I couldn't remember. They were a pretty good 1-2 punch late night. Fell asleep listening to their respective schticks back in the day.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah, I have fond memories of the One-on-One Sports network from the late 1990s ... Czaban in the morning, Johnny Renshaw 9-1, Peter Brown 1-5, Papa Joe from 5-9, Arnie Spanier from 9-1, and of course, Kemp overnights.

When I was ASE at the Brownsville Herald back in the day, I passed many a late-night desk shift listening to Spanier, and any time I'd cover something up in San Antonio, Kemp would keep me company on the long drive home through 100 miles of no-man's land in between Kingsville and Raymondville. Good radio, good times.

Papa Joe was a bit of a sexist, but "Bite Me Wednesday" was must-listen radio for me. RIP.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed on "Bite me Wednesday." And Wherever he's going, I'm sure they have the dish.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hey, I remember Papa Joe.

I don't have anything else to add.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

OH LAKER FANNNN!!

11. printdust

printdust New Member

He was pretty entertaining. I remember when he and Arnie Spanier were back to back in the afternoons. Spanier's a good chat too. Met him at a Dallas eatery once.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Listened to him in college and even sent in a postcard, on his behalf, to become the commissioner of MLB in 1997.

A bit of an "old man" on the radio but he had some good schtick.

Draft saved Draft deleted