1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Switching to the other side of sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I worked at a junior college as its Asst SID for football and some volleyball and it is something that you can do while you still write.

I had allot of fun being an ASID and if you can get a gig like it take it.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I freelanced at both of my SID gigs -- one at a D1 school and the other at a juco. I enjoyed the SID business until I had kids and the travel was a lot less appealing. And one of the best things about working at a college is taking classes for free or at a great discount. I spent less than $1,000 getting my master's.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

True enough. But you wouldn't be dealing with swim parents and covering eighth grade girls basketball if you were an SID.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

No. One rung below. SPORTSWRITERS.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You're basically looking at six in one hand, half a dozen in the other in my opinion. Plus, you'd become one of those evil PR flaks. J/K

Nothing in the vicinity of journalism pays much money. Unless you're talking about learned professors at universities that habitually overpay their people to teach one class and whine about the workload involved in preparing for three above average students.

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

LMAO

8. jps

jps Active Member

just out of curiosity ... other than cosida.com ... any job boards out there for SID, ASID, etc.?

Draft saved Draft deleted