1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Switching to news (a specific question)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on here, but my question is pretty specific: If you make the switch, can you do so without having to go from, say, a nice spot on the sports totem pole all the way down to covering four car accidents a day?

The jist is this - I'm a sports enterprise guy, a nice job, of course. But I have thoughts that some day I would like to do some news stories of the sort, as well.

I guess something like this would depend on the shop you work at, but I wouldn't want to go into news if it meant that I started off, like I said, being a cops or night reporter (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Just not my thing).

Anybody have any similar aspirations or experience?

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I guess you could say that I, a freelancer for about five papers -- dailies and weeklies -- swing between news and sports semi-regularly.

I write both news and sports for one paper; cover a small-town city council for a second daily, and have written sports almost non-stop in the meantime for 14 years.

I have a second job -- not related to journalism -- so imagine doing what I just mentioned around the second job!!

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

A good reporter is a good reporter. There's a regular here who went from a very nice sports beat to a similarly nice news side gig at his shop. I remember an old boss bringing in a guy who was covering an NFL team to interview for the primo business beat. If you're a smart guy or gal, who pays attention to stuff other than sports and you work with editors who have a clue, then you should be able to transition from covering State U. football to news without having to do night cops or (even worse) night government meetings.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

On the editing side, I can speak from experience that comparable positions can be found. As a writer, I wouldn't make the switch unless it were to a specific beat; otherwise it could be school briefs or the dreaded weekend GA.

Draft saved Draft deleted