1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swine Flu and Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A couple of my high schools in my area have forfeited games due to H1N1. One was a playoff game, but they were going to be killed anyway.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Feigning H1 is a great way to get out of unwanted meetings.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's all true. My son had a severe case of H1N1 because it worked off of his existing respiratory issues to make him miserable. And it would have been dangerous had we not caught it early.

I had it without the underlying respiratory issues. I've been far, far sicker with other things, though it was different in that it kind is like the seafood platter of flu's ... you get a little sampling of everything.

Having said that, schools and companies alike are freaking out about this. I stayed out of work longer than I normally would partially because of my company's paranoia about it. I didn't want to go back until I went to the doctor (too late as it turned out as my symptoms were already dissipating), not only to try and discern what I had, but for CYA purposes. I wanted it in writing that I could come back so they wouldn't give me shit.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Player on our team was confirmed with H1 N1, doctors told him he could come back 24 hours after last sign of fever.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They put tissues and hand sanitizer on everybody's desk here. The ME asked all the section editors for a contingency plan on how we'd put out a paper with half (or more) staff out with swine flu.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Our IT staff put in a system where we can all now work from home if need be. Your work computer shows up on your home computer, so you have access to In Design, all the work files, etc. We did a test run a few weeks ago and it went all right, although the In Design is painfully slow. Scrolling especially. Hopefully we never have to actually do it.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's the standard from the CDC. That's the usual advice about coming back from sickness, but people are paying attention to it because of H1N1.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Turns out that Jason Blake was the neighour of the kid who died.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/teens-death-hits-blake-hard/article1342215/

“‘I can’t imagine what they are going through,” Blake said Wednesday morning of his former Etobicoke neighbours, the Frustaglio family, two days after Evan died from the flu. “They are a great family with great kids. Evan was a hell of a hockey player.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The most fitful coughing I've ever experienced, and, hell yes, the iciness/chills were awful. Coughing is not so tough when there's at least some drainage. I flew to a more temperate climate for vacation and that was that, strangely. It was a 96-hour virus.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

H1N1 just finished up in our household.

My youngest son (4) and I had it worse than my wife and older son (7), who barely had symptoms.

Strange fucking virus, this thing is.

Draft saved Draft deleted