1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swim parents *rolls eyes* aye, aye, aye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jul 25, 2009.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The thing is, the story had nothing to do with the other swim club, it was about the brothers that were swimming in the state meet. They just happened to be swimming for another club. I didn't write it to intend that the other swim club was better.

I can post the story if you want.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They crucified Christ. Everyone else is fair game.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

did the brothers used to swim for the local club?

we have one mom -- and central ky kid can attest to this -- who is batshit insane about her daughter. she emails crap each week, and gets pissed if it isn't in the paper in the next few days.

4. bmm

bmm Member

This is what I wish I could say:

Lady, it's swimming and few people really care about your team other than the kids and their families.

I had a swimming mother go batty on me for not covering the home swim meet when we had two first place battles in the two basketball leagues we cover with packed houses.

It's like getting calls about crappy soccer coverage when I can go and count the people in the stands. They rarely get above 50 people at a game.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I always had many more problems with soccer parents. I once wrote a feature about two girls who were the 1-2 scoring punch for the local power. Nothing earth-shattering, just a paint by numbers prep profile. No sooner was it published than me and my SE were slammed with emails from the dad of a starting defender on the same team, demanding that we write an article about the defenders who set up the girls to score those goals.

Those are the days I would hate to be a high school coach. Local paper shows up, writes puff piece on 2 of your players and you have parents causing a shitstorm on why their kid didn't get the pub since they are the reason the other girls look good. Good Lord.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You cannot win with these people. Don't kill yourself trying.

Spike, you did a good job and if they don't like it, tell them to STFU.

7. tagline

tagline Member

What reason did the kids give for not swimming for the local team?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They didn't like the newspaper coverage.

(sorry. 8))

You can't win. Don't get into a debate about it, and don't be rude. 'Thanks for your note and your interest in our paper, we try to cover all aspects of the local teams and appreciate your feedback. Enjoy the summer.'

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Stop covering swimming.

Problem solved.

10. bmm

bmm Member

A newspaper in my area did a story about a pair of sisters playing on the same basketball team that went to the regionals. They got crucified by the rest of the parents on the team because they "were trying to single out players when everyone contributes equally." We also covered the same team, and I felt really bad for the writer.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I hope he responded, "So that means everyone scores six points, has three rebounds, two steals and a block in 21 minutes per game?"

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to get the whole 'equal' thing when the JV parents would complain why I didn't cover their games. They would say that the JV was equal to the varsity.

I would always respond, "Well, if they're equal, then why don't they have state playoffs for JV? And why do the best JV kids get called up to varsity?"

They usually would splutter, and hang up.

Draft saved Draft deleted