1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweetness 10 years later: Gone but not forgotten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Had, by far, the greatest inverse ratio of talent to externalized ego of any professional athlete.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Goddamnit, Sam, I did not want to open this thread, but I couldn't help it, and now it's all I can do to keep from crying. I'll be back later with my thoughts on Walter. Fuck.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Even as a Packer fan, you had to respect the shit out of Walter Payton.

He was probably the best quarterback the Bears had for many of his years too.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Eat shit, Bubbler.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I meant that sincerely.

Think about it, Payton was pretty money on those HB option plays the Bears liked to run back then. He had 3 TD passes in 1983 alone and eight in his career. I believe when Jim McMahon and Rusty Lisch got hurt in '83, he actually played QB briefly.

Think of the cavalcade of suck who played QB when he was there: Gary Huff, Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps, Vince Evans, early Doug Flutie? McMahon was the only representative QB he ever regularly played with.

Yes it's an exaggeration to say he was the best quarterback they had. But not much of one.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know, dude. Didn't do it to anger anyone ... as I'm certain you know.

I didn't exactly let it go in one ear and out the other when I heard. The next person who affected me like this was some guy named Mills. It hurt like hell.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

There is a story that Steve Largent loves to tell on the rubber chicken circuit. Seahawks playing the Bears in one of Payton's final games. Payton comes around the tackle and Boz just plants him. Payton's head snaps back and bounces on the turf and Largent's first thought is "Oh my God, we just killed Walter Payton." Payton hops back up like it was routine. Boz screams, "You run that play again Payton and I'll bite your head off." Not missing a beat, Payton retorts, "You do that and you'll have twice as many brains in your stomach as you do in your head."

RIP to one of the greats.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was 84 and it was against Seattle at Soldier Field.

They basically ran the single wing.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can't believe it's been that long. I still have the SI 'Goodbye Sweetness' issue somewhere.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great tribute, Sam. Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

As kids, we all loved to imitate his style, high-stepping our way into the end zone in backyard football. Then on Sunday, he was the only reason to watch the Bears for most of his career.

RIP to one of the NFL's best ever.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The greatest Football Player who ever lived.

And there's no argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted