1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet Lou or Phil "I'm not feeling so" Wellman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Which managerial meltdown was better?

1. Lou Piniella

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Phil Wellman

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Joe Mikulik (the Asheville loon from last year)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I tried finding a good YouTube clip of Piniella's tirade, but MLBAM has already stepped in and had the video taken down. THANKFULLY, though, Wellman's break-down is still up, so if you don't remember is, here ye go.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is like asking which team is better: the Red Sox or the Devil Rays. It's not even close. Wellman gets big points for creativity and wins this easily.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

But you have to admit there was an old-school element to Sweet Lou. He's the spitting image of a manager-gone-psychotic.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The best thing about Lou's was the fact that he argued just for the sake of arguing. It's as if he wanted a four or five day break from the bullshit that is the Cubs.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This shouldn't be a contest. Pinella wins because this was brewing since April. Was it contrived? No. Unlike Wellman who was trying to get on television acting like a loon. Pinella was arguing a blown call. Wellman was being a jerk, showing up everyone else on the field. Pinella will work again. Wellman should never work in the game again.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

But Piniella was arguing a call that was made correctly, which he admitted later. Hey, it's the minor leagues so why shouldn't Wellman entertain the fans?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He turned the game into a sideshow. Crawling on his belly, military-style, before lobbing the rosin bag? C'mon. That's not entertainment. That's making a name for yourself at the expense of the game.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I changed it: Mikulik, the Asheville lunatic from last year, was the coup de gras.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just watched that one. Good stuff, there. But, for my money, Wellman's gotta be at the top. He threw a grenade, for Christ's sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted