1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet, gentle Tebow's promise immortalized

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

How, exactly, this is different than building a museum, on a road down the block from a stadium also immortalized, for one coach? Or playing the same marble-mouthed sound bite a solid 25-plus years after said coach's passing? I await Alabama fanboi answers.

RB

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not an Alabama fanboi at all. I hate Bama with a passion. If they go 0-13 every year for the next century, I'll enjoy every second of it.
    But these are light years apart. One is named for a coach who literally impacted thousands of lives, is an iconic figure in the sporting world, and did more for a state than you can possibly measure.
    Tebow, for all his accomplishments, is a 20-something guy who has won a few football games and apparently climbed the twin peaks of Mount Funmore. Wait a few years, at least, before you put up something like that.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My point is that the incredible infatuation with SEC football "heroes" is not contained to Gainesville.

And Bryant didn't go on missions and praise his Lord. He won football games, and integrated only when he had to. There is a LOT of the myth that is just that ... And I feel in a decent position to speak to it.

RB

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Say what you will, Tebow haters. Dude backed up every bit of it. I laughed at the time. I stopped laughing when they won the SEC title and the national one. But a plaque? A bit much.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

So what happens when/if Tebow wins another national title and/or Heisman?

The University of Tebow? Ben Hill Griffin Tebow Stadium?

Maybe an Easter Island-like statue of Tebow's head?

Part me of wants UF and Tebow to win another title just to piss people off. Heh.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, if people are sick of Tebow now, just wait for football season.
    The Tebow hype will be overwhelming.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Only about 9 more months. NFL fullbacks are anonymous.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"That was my goal, something Florida has never done here."

Something Florida has never done where?

Not exactly "The Gettysburg Address," is it?

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then why write something like: "and they wonder why people hate the guy?"
    If you believe Urban Meyer, Jeremy Foley and that bootlick bunch of suits in the SID department are doing this, why condemn Tebow?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

People all over Canuckistan are asking, "Who the fuck is Tim Tebow?" :)

Draft saved Draft deleted