1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet freedom: life without TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 13, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Go to www.channelsurfing.net

You can watch almost anything there on TV for free.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've been without TV for months at a time and didn't miss it at all.

It's like having ice cream in the freezer. If it's there, you want to grab the scoop and go to town.

If the freezer is empty, you don't miss it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, our TV will have a wireless device that streams programming.

Unless they make a laptop that is 50 inches, we will still have our TVs.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

When I got my first full-time gig, I went more than two years with just a rabbit-ears antenna, a PSOne and a meager DVD collection. The only TV I watched regularly was Red Green and a few British comedies on the local PBS station.

I could probably get by without TV just fine now — other than games, my only appointment viewing is Mythbusters.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The games get played whether I watch or not. I rarely if ever watch sports on TV anyway (except for bits and pieces and highlights, I've watched about 3 of the last 15 Super Bowls.) I haven't consistently watched sporting events on TV since about 1994, the beginning of my previous TV-free stint. For a few months, I really really missed it, then after a while I realized I didn't care anymore.

BTExpress pretty much nailed it.

6. You're all going to be really impressed when I come into the press box with my 50-inch laptop.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I could do this if it wasn't for sports. Everything else I watch can be found online. But I don't wanna go to a sports bar for every big game, and I'm too much of a sports junkie to miss the big games.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've gone through stints without TV in the past.
    My expense went up because I spent more time at the bar.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have three kids. It's an easy cover-up for my television/DirecTV addiction. Short of going blind, no effing way do I see myself without either.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I have a TV but where we live you can't get cable. I refuse to do satellite ... so when I'm not in DC it's a lot of Flight Simulator ... now we have broadband internet, so I can at least get online to do stuff, but I don't mind not having TV.... even with all the channels we have in DC, I find that I'm not interested in most of it, so it seems a waste.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good for you, Starman. I've never had cable, and the offerings of network TV won't be missed. Plenty of better ways to spend your time.

Now, if I could just get rid of this damn computer ... ;)

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I never mindlessly surf. Set the DVR for what I care about and just watch that (outside live sports, like everyone else here). Never, ever watch commercials; even for the live sports. Hit pause, get some crap done around the house, then sit back down and zoom through.

There's more channels, more crap, more sports, but I'd say I'm a much better TV watcher than five, 10 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted