1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet freedom: life without TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 13, 2010.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The only current problem with my TV situation -- I need a third HDTV, for the workout room. Will be rectified soon.
    Love TV.
    Love my 50-inch plasma in the family room. Have had it nearly 5 years, and I celebrate its anniversary like I celebrate my birthday.
    Love the 32-inch LCD my wife bought for me when we redid our bedroom last year.
    Love the sports.
    Love the shows my wife and I watch together.
    Love ignoring the cable news crap that seems to drive so much political conversation in this country.
    Couldn't live without any of those, I believe.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I could not live without The Weather Channel.

I could not live without the local news.

And driving to a bar to watch the Pens does not appeal to me.

My little girl could not live without Elmo.

Although nuking cable is an interesting thought.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have more channels than I could ever watch and want more. Starman is probably right on the merits of this argument, but I'm an addict and I admit it. If they offered a news-free cable package, I'd snap it up, however. But how could I live without Big Ten softball and reruns of Arizona high school football games in May?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't regret giving up my TV for a second. If you are into regular TV shows, they are almost all put on the stations' web sites the day after they air.

With sports, it's nice if you aren't bothered by watching it through some Chinese streaming site.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

With my TV, as opposed to a Chinese streaming site, I don't have to go hunting, I don't have to worry about doing 10 clicks to find out it doesn't work, I don't have to worry about the quality of the stream, and I get the convenience of just flipping the sucker on and watching. I can also flip back and forth really easily. And best of all, I get to watch it on a big screen in high definition.

6. This seems like cheating to me.

"I don't watch TV. I watch all the shows on the Internet. Never miss one. But I don't watch TV!"

7. RickStain

I save $50/month, more if I wanted anything beyond the basic package. Even more if I wanted to watch stuff on demand like I can now.

I only watch what I want to watch, rather than just wasting time looking to see if there's anything I might want to watch. The rest of you may be better than me about this, but when I had a TV and Cable I watched *way* more stuff than I do now.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Go to Radio Shack and spend $100 on a dish, point it at your closest major city, mount it in your backyard and you are going to get a lot of free high def.

I just don't want to give up my Tivo and a few other things.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My 20-something boys watch almost all their TV shows on the computer.

I suspect that within five to ten years, cable will be as obsolete as a VCR.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

No TV? That's unpossible!

How do you know where to point your furniture?

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If it wasn't for live sporting events, I wouldn't have a problem yanking our TVs and Dish.

Well, that and Tom and Jerry every day at noon on Cartoon Network. :)

12. RickStain

Also available for comment:

[​IMG]

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Draft saved Draft deleted