1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet freedom: life without TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 13, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

About six weeks ago, my TV went to sleep and never woke up.

Having taken about a 22-25% pay chop in the last year, the idea of spending $400-$800 on a new TV, along with the idea of continuing to spend some $80-$100 a month on cable packages, didn't seem to make a lot of sense. So instead of shelling out for a new boob tube, I hauled the old one out to the curb, and called the cable boys and told them to take their channel boxes away.

Thinking back to the earlier ramen-noodles and bargain-bread days of my career, I realized I lived from about 1994-1998 without a working TV in the house, and survived just fine. All of a sudden things are starting to get done around the house, dishes washed, lawn mowed, who'da thunk it?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you start making soap and punching yourself in the face I'm calling the cops.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Batman calling the cops? :eek: :eek:

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Used to have mine on (if only for background noice) several hours a day. Now don't watch more than 3-4 hours a week.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm too busy watching TV to take care of it myself :D

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I've gone without TV off and on for the past decade or so. I always enjoyed life without it -- get more reading done, get out of the house more, save a few bucks.

I have it now, but once the World Cup is over I may get rid of it.

7. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

Most of my friends don't have cable. I've found you can see most cable programming online now.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You can't wash the dishes or mow the lawn with the cable hooked up?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So if you don't have a TV at home, what do you do when there's a big game that you want to watch? Go to a sports bar?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Reason number one I could never give up TV. Ever.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have lots of TV pleasures I enjoy, most notably some of the HBO shows, which I watch religiously. I could give them up easily, though. What I couldn't give up is sports on TV. College football season alone would kill me. No way I would ever give up my TV.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Used to feel the same way. But at some point --- don't exactly know when --- all the seasons, all the games, all the plays, all the quotes, all the debates, etc. --- started blending into each other. And while I may be "interested" in a particular game or outcome, I never kick myself if I miss it. Only one time in the past few years did I seriously make a plan to spendi exactly 3 1/2 hours in front of the TV for a show, and that was for this most recent Super Bowl. And if it had been Jets-Saints or Vikings-Chargers . . . I probably would have only caught a few plays.

Draft saved Draft deleted