1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet freedom: life without TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 13, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

About six weeks ago, my TV went to sleep and never woke up.

Having taken about a 22-25% pay chop in the last year, the idea of spending $400-$800 on a new TV, along with the idea of continuing to spend some $80-$100 a month on cable packages, didn't seem to make a lot of sense. So instead of shelling out for a new boob tube, I hauled the old one out to the curb, and called the cable boys and told them to take their channel boxes away.

Thinking back to the earlier ramen-noodles and bargain-bread days of my career, I realized I lived from about 1994-1998 without a working TV in the house, and survived just fine. All of a sudden things are starting to get done around the house, dishes washed, lawn mowed, who'da thunk it?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you start making soap and punching yourself in the face I'm calling the cops.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Batman calling the cops? :eek: :eek:

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Used to have mine on (if only for background noice) several hours a day. Now don't watch more than 3-4 hours a week.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm too busy watching TV to take care of it myself :D

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I've gone without TV off and on for the past decade or so. I always enjoyed life without it -- get more reading done, get out of the house more, save a few bucks.

I have it now, but once the World Cup is over I may get rid of it.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Most of my friends don't have cable. I've found you can see most cable programming online now.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You can't wash the dishes or mow the lawn with the cable hooked up?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So if you don't have a TV at home, what do you do when there's a big game that you want to watch? Go to a sports bar?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Reason number one I could never give up TV. Ever.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have lots of TV pleasures I enjoy, most notably some of the HBO shows, which I watch religiously. I could give them up easily, though. What I couldn't give up is sports on TV. College football season alone would kill me. No way I would ever give up my TV.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Used to feel the same way. But at some point --- don't exactly know when --- all the seasons, all the games, all the plays, all the quotes, all the debates, etc. --- started blending into each other. And while I may be "interested" in a particular game or outcome, I never kick myself if I miss it. Only one time in the past few years did I seriously make a plan to spendi exactly 3 1/2 hours in front of the TV for a show, and that was for this most recent Super Bowl. And if it had been Jets-Saints or Vikings-Chargers . . . I probably would have only caught a few plays.

Draft saved Draft deleted