1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweeney Todd

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Apr 27, 2008.

1. If there was another thread on this (aside from discussion of the trailer), then I missed it.
    Anyway, the wife and I rented Sweeney Todd tonight and we weren't disappointed. I'm usually not one for musicals, but the whole tone of this was great.
    Of course Depp and Bonham-Carter were incredible. Snape and Pettigrew made a good pair as well.
    I won't spoil it, but I saw the ending coming.
    For whatever reason, when Depp and B-C were trying to mess with Borat and his boy-servant, I found Depp's lyrics, "This looks like piss...This smells like piss...This is piss" absolutely hysterical.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I love this movie. I saw it in theaters, cause I always see Burtons' stuff in theaters, and paid for the DVD.

The visuals and performances are amazing. Course I'd pay to watch Johnny Depp sit in a chair and sleep and enjoy it, so ya know.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Nothing stalker-y about that! Nothing at all!

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Burton and Depp are great but the real genius here is Sondheim.

5. SC,

Your love for Depp reminded me. When we were watching a bonus feature, my wife saw HBC and said, "She's pretty. I'd like to see her in a pretty role."
    Of course, I know she's a beautiful woman, but I realized we had only seen her in Fight Club, Harry Potter, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and now Sweeney Todd.
    She really doesn't use her beauty to her advantage -- at least, not in any of those roles.
    That's rare for an actress that looks like her.

6. True, of course.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She did some pretty stuff early on, when she mostly did corset roles (as I like to call them). Although she had scenes where she was heavily made up in Big Fish (another Burton flick), there were some scenes where her beauty was used, although not many.

She, like Depp, doesn't seem totally comfortable with being attractive.

8. I had forgotten she was in Big Fish.
    I don't know if it is that she is uncomfortable so much as she (like Depp) chooses not to be known as eye-candy. She (like Depp) is great at her craft and doesn't want people to come out of movies just going, "Wow, she was hot."

9. In Big Fish she was also the wicked witch.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The defense presents Exhibit A: "Fight Club."

Also, her "well, fuck me with a hot poker" line in "Live From Baghdad" was quite hot. Just sayin'.

11. I second that. Also, Live from Baghdad is a fantastic movie.

I have Sweeny Todd sitting on top of my tv...A coworker told me I had to watch it, I'm nervous...I'm not a big musical guy and don't like blood/horror stuff, which is the impression I get from this movie...

Draft saved Draft deleted