1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweeney Todd trailer -- for those who care

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Oct 5, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Looks good to me.

Interesting that, for those who know nothing of the musical, the most ghoulish and famous part of the plot is not even referred to.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834155/video/4367764

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't wait. No way Depp doesn't ace it.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm sure they'll just take the body out of the trunk and bury him ...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Johnny sure to be a gazillion times better than Ben Affleck was performing part of it in Jersey Girl.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'd watch Johnny Depp read the phone book.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hey, isn't that the guy from 21 Jump Street?

When I was a kid, they had Sweeney Todd on HBO; I think it might have just been a tape of the Broadway show. Angela Lansbury was the female lead. I must have watched it 20 times.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

Maybe next up he'll be doing a rendition of Cats.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes, clearly the situations are similar. Affleck in a romantic comedy where he helps he daughter's middle school play, and is intentionally trying to be silly, and Johnny Depp's film version where he and Alan Rickman will probably contend for an Oscar. C'mon.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sorry my attempt at scarcasm failed on you.

10. I knew Jack Sparrow and Bellatrix Lestrange/Marla Singer were in this, but I didn't know Severus Snape was.
    It looks pretty solid to me.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's Hans Gruber, dammit!

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This is an unbelievable newspaper story, just couldn't happen, but it did.
    In the city where I grew up and used to work, there was a bar called Sweeney Todd's Pub. There was this young stud photog who knew everybody associated with the U.S. men's volleyball team and he was invited to go to the Montreal Olympics as the official photographer of USA Volleyball. After he returned, my paper decided to give him a photo page for his best shots from the Olympics. One of his photos was a shot of a guy outside Olympic Stadium, holding a bunch of tickets above his head, obviously trying to sell them. The caption says something like, "There were scalpers at Olympic Stadium."
    The photog did not ID the guy, did not know him, he could have been from anywhere. It was just a candid shot. But it turns out the guy with the tickets was from our city and he worked at Sweeney Todd's Pub. And, we called him a "scalper."
    So he sued the paper. If I remember right, the lawyers all had a good laugh, maybe we gave the guy a couple of hundred bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted