1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swearing in cartoons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the Shrek movies have obvious sexual references that soar over the heads of any kid under the age of 10. I have zero problem with those. If the Buzz Lightyear thing in the second Toy Story bothered you, you should seek therapy.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

About a year after I got out of school I was standing behind a woman at the video store and her kid runs up to her and says, "Mommy, can we get this?" and the mom just slips the movie under her arm without giving it a second look. I saw the title, which was Fritz the Cat.

I had the misfortune of sitting through about 15 minutes of Fritz the Cat when I was in college and I felt the need to point out to the lady that he kid had just handed her an X-rated film.

Me: "Ma'am, I'm sorry to bother you, but that movie your kid just handed you is Rated X."

Woman: (Looking at me like I'm an idiot.) "No it's not, it's a cartoon."

Me: "Uh, yeah, it is a cartoon, but it's X-rated."

Woman: (Looking at me like I'm a total idiot) It's... A... Cartoon."

Video guy: (taking movie out of her hand) "It's X-rated. You still want it?"

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What a person deems appropriate for his/her children is a personal matter.
    My only point is don't take your kids to a PG movie and then act outraged. If you are a parent who is concerned about this stuff, restrict your children's viewing to G movies.
    It's not rocket science.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

"Love Game"

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The stuff with Buzz in Toy Story 2 was funny. They throw that stuff in there for the parents. They put the farts and stuff in there for the boys and dads.

In Cars, there was the scene where the two twin cars pop up their headlights. My wife was appalled, and I just laughed. Then one time when Lighting says Doc won two Piston Cups, Mater spit out his oil and said "He did what in his cup?" Stuff like that, little kids won't get but adults can get a chuckle.

Yeah, I've watched these A LOT!

Kids love that song, Yummy Yummy Yummy, I've got love in my tummy too.

6. I agree with a later comment in this thread that how we choose to raise our children differs from person to person and is very much a personal choice, but I worry about the last part of your statement . . . "who cares."

Innocent humor to one person may not be innocent humor to another. While the "nice ascot" comment may indeed be innocent, there are others which may come off as very innocent, but kids love to repeat what they hear. When my kids do that, and I don't want them repeating it, I then have to choose how to approach saying something, because once I make it a bigger deal by telling them not to say that, well, then they start to realize what they said was interesting. Questions start coming. In many cases, these are things that my 7-year-old shouldn't be dealing with but they are because fricken buzz lightyear said it.

I know it is my choice to let my kids watch the PG movie. But there is a reasonable expectation, or at least there should be, that an animated film where the characters can be found on every toyshelf in the america, is safe for my 7 year old and should not be leading to a discussion that I should be having when he/she reached 10 or 12. For now, the responsibility is mine . . . I get that. But that doesn't mean any and all responsibility gets chucked away by others because the motion picture Association of America deemed it PG.

So when I see a "who cares" or the idiotic argument that you can bet worse is said by the uncle or whatever crap was spewed there, I get the same anger I get when I hear parents who don't want to parent, so instead they hide behind "boys will be boys."

It's not that easy to dismiss.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess you prefer the old looney tunes cartoons that had a ton of violence in them. I suggest you home school your child and not let them out of the house until they're ready to go to college.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That's not what I got out of that post. What I took away is "some people do care, so please stop belittling those who do."

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

No, I think I'll keep belittling them. There's a reason Helen Lovejoy is a joke on "The Simpsons." Of all the lines to draw in the sand, this one is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.

I'm sorry I made you angry, proudpittsburgher. ::)

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Hey, your kids and your problem. More power to you. When I have kids I would not think twice about letting them see Toy Story or drinking a Mountain Dew once in a while. It is about your own parenting methods, and every parent/couple has their own. But even if you popped in a disc of "Beauty and the Beast" or see a scantily-clad Jasmine in "Aladdin," most any movie has elements in which are adult-oriented because, well, they are made by adults. Does that mean you won't let your kid see "E.T." because the alien drinks Budweiser? If so, that's your prerogative -- but these are realities and I don't see why parents try to shield their children from such human elements. There are bigger things to worry about as a parent.

11. That's funny, because we did homeschool our kids up until last year. But I think you are going to an extreme a bit, aren't you? The sky is not falling in my view of this, but I do recognize is a bit of a problem. You seem to think I am making a mountain out of a molehill. Of course, it's pretty easy to dismiss me by classifying me as being overprotective. Glad that works for ya.

12. I'm not going to dismiss your statements because you don't have kids, that's not fair. But the first time your 6-year-old child comes home from school and repeats a profanity, anything sexually oriented, or anything like that, I want to see you not get frustrated and just write it off as a teaching moment that was otherwise inevitable because, well, it is what it is. There are times for everything, even teaching moments, but kids are indeed growing up too fast in a lot of elements of society. Just because I try and shield my kids from some of that doesn't make me an overprotective conservative, it just means I am trying to ease them into life. My kids saw Toy Story and a lot of the other stuff mentioned in this thread. But that doesn't mean I can't cringe when I see some of the stuff that animated films get away with.

Draft saved Draft deleted