1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuzynWaldman/ John Sterling Support Group.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 10, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I wasn't exposed to Yanks' radio broadcasts until I got XM 3 years ago.
    Waldman is truly hideous. Her voice makes me want to run my car off the road, in the words of Tommy Boy, "into a g-damn bridge abutment!"
    I haven't had a chance to critique Michael Kay or the YES broadcasts, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I got DirecTV and Extra Innings yesterday - and I want to see if you can really detect the Boss' moods about A-Rod through the broadcasts, like the New York Daily News wrote 2 weeks ago.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Among other things, it annoys the shit out of me when Key pronounces A-Rod's name "rah-TREE-guess"

3. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

The only good thing about Kay on TV is that we are spared him describing the Yankees' uniforms, as he did on radio. ("No names -- of course.") Yo, Mike -- the unis haven't changed since they were the freakin' Highlanders.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sterling as obnoxious, but if you want to talk about horrible work in the booth...then again, out of respect for Herb Carneal's family, I won't discuss his final years.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh god, he brought his ego to Fenway for the ceremony? Was he wearing his Nehru jacket to remind the Sawx fans how "good" he was? DJ and Black Jack sounded like they were lost last night during the game without Hawk.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my fave john sterling tale: on oct. 24, 1972, i went to wmca studios in manhattan to interview sterling for my h.s. journalism class. i know the date 'cause it was the day jackie robinson died. sterling had a sports-talk show at the station at the time, my fellow old timers will recall.

i arrived in time to watch sterling tape a commentary on robinson. it was actually quite good. his engineer was a young comic named jimmy "jj" walker, who kept doing his routine into sterling's headset, to crack him up. that's right -- kid "dy-no-mite" from "good times."

anyway, i was an impressionable 15-year-old and john sterling couldn't have been more gracious. but what i remember most today is that sterling told me he was 35.

that means he is 69 or 70 today!! i find that amazing!! he and his wife have triplets who are 5, tops. i believe he goes out of is way to not have his age listed anywhere. oops!!

my boys have been raised to mock sterling's radio calls, but damn, the man sure doesn't look or sound his age. he's got great pipes.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I have to agree with this. I love Steiner, but he is not a great play-by-play guy, at least not for baseball. His voice isn't particularly compelling, and he is not incredibly knowledgeable about the game.

That said, he's funny as hell when he wants to be. I always thought Charlie was best when he was covering boxing. He really knows and loves that sport.

I love when the WFAN (Mets home) messes with Sterling, and they'll cut a piece of audio with a "It is high, is if far" call joined with a "it's an out to the shortsop." call. Great stuff.

Listening to WFAN and reading the bombastic Post got me through college, and that took a lonnnnnnnng time. Great stuff. :)

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Best PBP on radio----Denny Matthews (IMO)

Best PBP on TV------Skip Caray (IMO)

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sterling has a FANTASTIC voice . . .

. . . which is why his misuse of it is such a felony.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In past few years Sterling has allowed his ego to overwelm his voice.

Suzyn Waldman is the consumate example of the Peter principle.

11. Both these guys are dull but solid.

For radio PBP, both in description and honesty, there might be none better than Marty Brennaman. His kid, however, makes me sick.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sterling used to do a very good job on Nets games. He is 100% parody of himself at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted