1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuzynWaldman/ John Sterling Support Group.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There's nothing better than Mike and the Dog critiquing Sterling's calls after a big game.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mikee and Doggy critiquing any radio broadcaster is hilarious, in and of itself.

3. Love Charley Steiner. What is he doing now? Is he with YES?

To threadjack:
    Has anyone been watching the Pirates on Fox Sports Pittsburgh?
    When they won the other night (against the Astros) Greg Brown didn't utter his (crappy) catch phrase: "There was Nooooooo doubt about it."
    I always hated that phrase. Especially since the Pirates have sucked for so long. I never thought it fit with a lot of Pirate wins.
    Maybe he - or one of his bosses - finally wised up.

I think he did say "Raise the Jolly Roger." though. And that's still better than the other one.

4. cortez

cortez Member

Damn, I'm sorry he didn't get the chance to call, um, provide silence, when Bobby Jenks blew the game in the 9th

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is revisionist history. Steiner may well be all of the things you say he is - great guy, a real pro etc. But if he knows anything about baseball, he kept it hidden during his Yankee tenure. He was absolutely brutal. Waldman seems insightful in comparison.

6. T2

T2 Member

"Noooo doubt about it" is the catch phrase of the other Pirates play-by-play man, Lanny Frattare, who was doing radio for that particular game.

7. You are right. I stand corrected.

I still the phrase is stupid regardless of who said it.

8. chester

chester Member

He's doing Dodger games on radio and TV, whichever one Scully isn't doing.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of Sterling's best calls is A-Rod's grand slam the other day.... he didn't do his :"It is high it is far....." bullshit because old John didn't see where the ball was going.
    While the ball was bouncing in the blacked out seats in dead center field, Sterling, whose eyesight is failing badly by the way, was saying it's going to be over the center fielder's head.

Hilarious!

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's like Pol Pot criticizing Stalin's prisons

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Has anyone lately checked to see if Denny is alive? Guy sounds like he's broadcasting a game of tiddlywinks. I don't want my announcers all-excited, all-the-time, but Denny and his buddy Ryan redefine the term 'dull.'

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Boomer, great thread.

As a lifelong Yankee fan, I simply cannot listen to those two anymore. It's not the home run calls, or the THUUUUUUH YANKEES WIN stuff... it's the unrelenting idiocy that permeates the entirety of the broadcast.

Sterling: "Blah blah blah blah strike one blah blah blah blah some other retreaded catchphrase that I've been blathering about for years blah blah blah blah Suzyn can you read the the scores now blah blah blah."

Draft saved Draft deleted