1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuzynWaldman/ John Sterling Support Group.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 10, 2007.

1. He was at Fenway yesterday afternoon to take part of the Red Sox celebration of that 1967 team.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The true horror of these broadcasts is listening to the extent that Suz feels compelled to cater to Sterling's Alaska-sized ego.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Which explains why they get along, and why Charley Steiner--a guy with, you know, real talent--and Sterling did not.

Charley Steiner, BTW, was the only media member, IIRC, to attend the funeral of Eddie Layton...even though Steiner had been booted from the booth months earlier.

The best thing about XM is not having to listen to Yankees games on the radio. I can listen to any other game. Amazing how the only time I listen to the Yankees in the car is when they're on the road.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Oh, man, that pairing was AWESOME. There was so much tension between those two, it was great to listen to them. You could just hear the sneers over the airways. I miss that, that was great radio.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sterling bolted back into the booth after Aaron Boone's ALCS-winning homer in 2003. Steiner had that inning and gave a great, impassioned, spontaneous call. Sterling's ego couldn't stomach the thought that Steiner would forever be associated with one of the great homers in baseball history and darted back into the booth to do his fucking stupidass fucking BALLGAME OVER! AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES OVER!!!! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEES WIN!!! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA OH MY GOD I JUST CREAMED MY PANTS YANKEES WIN!!!!"

6. John

John Well-Known Member

On a side note, I groaned when I heard Michael Kay say A-Rod hit a game-winning, walk-off grand slam the other night.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re Sterling/Steiner:

The defining moment remains . . . Jon, overheard: "He's (Steiner's) ruining my liiiiiiiiiife . . . " (he whined).

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ha, ha. Didn't know that.

What a complete douchenozzle Sterling is. Thanks for that anecdote, BYH. :)

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Another great anecdote I hadn't heard.

Sterling = f*ckwad baby. I miss Charlie reigning him in.

What's so funny about Steinbrenner's outfit is, it's like they go out of their way to bring in the most 'kitcschy,' misfit crew they can get. The less professional and the more odd, the better. Susie, Sterling and Kay fit perfectly in that 'oddball' mode.

For such a storied franchise, they really are high on 'sketchy.'

10. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

didn't know that. i always envisioned it as steiner making the call while holding on to the microphone for dear life as sterling tries to pry him away. And once Sterling does, he goes into his whole Yankees win, spiel...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A wonderful anecdote all the way around...

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm a Yankees fan and I refuse to listen to Yankees games on the radio because of how bad Waldman and Sterling are. I miss most of the TV broadcasts because I'm at work and not able to pay attention to the TV the whole time if the game is on (depending on who I'm working with they might put the Phillies game on instead), plus its a small TV (12-14 incher) a good distance away from my desk so I can barely see the sucker anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted