1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suzyn Waldman in "The Crying Game"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know Suzyn a little bit from covering another AL team (hey, maybe I've met boots!), and while I can't say I know the intricacies of how she does her job, she's personally very likable and seems to have friends everywhere she goes.

I listened to the tape, and honestly I didn't think it was that bad -- I expected her to be bawling and shrieking from how people reacted. What you have to understand is that, particularly for broadcasters who are team employees and not detached journalists, these people are their friends. They spend eight or nine months of the year together, every day at work, every plane ride and hotel lobby. They literally spend more time with the team and team employees than they do with their own families. They know them extremely well personally. And, while I know it's easy to forget, ballplayers are just people.

So when she goes into a room where people she's known for more than a decade are crying, where she's seeing people she likes who have just lost their jobs, I can't come down too hard on her for being emotional. I have felt personally bummed when a player or coach I like gets the ax, and as a beat writer I don't know them as well as a team employee would.

Was it unprofessional? Maybe. But I certainly don't think she did it on purpose, and I know she would have held it back if she could. She's human, and she had a natural emotional reaction.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Amidst all of that, as a Sox fan, I found John Sterling's sign-off absolutely hilarious.

"Our next game will be coming to you from Legends Field in Tampa. We're not sure of the starting pitchers yet, but the Yankees will play...... somebody."

Oh, and Waldman is a traitorous bitch.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ding Ding Ding!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Typical boots. Find an unpopular position to argue. Assure everyone that he knows the person in question better than anyone else on this board. Then try to big-time everyone, as if there is a single member of this board who is impressed. Repeat over and over again and accuse anyone who calls him on it of stalking.

This was unprofessional. I don't care if George Steinbrenner himself called her last night and told her she did a wonderful job. Waldman was unprofessional and childish, not for the first time. This is a message board, boots. We are entitled to our opinions whether you like them or not.

Arnold, I can see that as a reasonable argument. But boots is trying to tell us that it was on purpose on orders from above. I'm glad for her that she has friends. Too bad she's annoying as hell to listen to.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

No, they worked together. Had meetings in HR too.

Oh, and her sniveling was unprofessional and embarrassing.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"This is almost as tough as the plane ride back from Seattle."

No, it is not. Yanks lost playoff series. YOU SUFFERED FROM CANCER. A playoff series loss is not worse than goddamn cancer!

7. ArnoldBabar

I didn't get that reference. I thought maybe she was talking about after they lost that insane '95 playoff series there.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what she was talking about? Wow...just..wow..

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When she interviewed Randy Johnson, after the Eunuch's first presser as a Yankee, she said the toughest thing she's ever done was fly on the plane back from Seattle in 1995.

Except that she suffered from cancer, and in no goddamn universe is a playoff series loss tougher than battling CANCER.

10. ArnoldBabar

So what does her saying "This is almost as tough as the plane ride back from Seattle" have to do with her comparing last night's loss to cancer? You lost me somewhere, 'beat.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I just can't comprehend how last night's loss or the 1995 flight back from Seattle is tougher than battling cancer. It befuddles me.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]Who doesn't cry during Cinderella?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.