1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

suspended for reporting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

So, funny thing happened on the way to a good story.
    I was suspended by Bleacher Report for...reporting.

I called a friend in Oxford before the Egg Bowl to wish him luck, and while on the phone he mentioned he was confident the Rebs were naming Hugh Freeze tomorrow. So, naturally, I broke the story. In the "breaking news" category. I don't have an outlet to report to, so B/R was the obvious choice.

The article received nearly 5,000 reads before it was pulled.

I received an email.stating the article was deleted due to my not providing a hyperlink to where I read this news.

Apparently one may only break news once it has been broken. Brilliant.

I was then notified of my account being suspended until I able to abide by their rules. It seems I was personally emailed on Nov. 2 about a quote Iused and did not attribute. I guess I must mention the press conference in which I obtained the quote?

No matter, though, I wish I didn't have to use B/R, but I certainly won't be again.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Feel free to get to the part where you "reported" a "story."

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I talked to a friend who was pretty sure Ohio State would hire Urban Meyer. SCOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

You know..that part where I released a breaking news report of Mississippi hiring a football coach tomorrow. Is there a report out there stating as much?

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

If your friend had the resume at Ohio State comparative to my friends at Ole Miss, you would have a story too.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And I bet LTL would have a place to publish it.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Unless your buddy is Pete Boone, and you have someone else credible backing him up on the record, you don't have a story. You have a rumor, and only a mildly interesting one at that.

I pray you aren't connected with Alabama's journalism school. If so, they should tear Reese Phifer Hall sown to the studs and start over.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm just glad this isn't on the "Journalism topics only" board. Really, it belongs on "Anything Goes."

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The good thing about this one is you will be proven right within 24 hours. So make sure to come back and crow about it tomorrow, K?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I am reporting that young-gun11 was suspended.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I hope you have a credible source to back that shit up.

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

You're suspended. You didn't include a hyperlink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.